Bois d'Arc

Glitter Stripe On Plastic Lures

I searched this forum for info on glitter applied to lures and found a lot of good information so this topic may be covered elsewhere (just can find it), but here goes.  I have a guy who wants a shiny stripe painted along the lateral lines on some of his lures.  I figured on just using iridescent paint to make the stripe.  Turns out he wants a glitter stripe using "rainbow" colored glitter over turquoise paint.  I've use glitter on a few baits but I don't use it a lot and never for detail stuff like a stripe. I'm thinking of using a stencil for the stripe then removing the stencil before the stripe dries to avoid a sharp edge. Not sure about this at all! I'm guessing someone on TU knows how to put a glitter stripe on and make it look great.  I could use a little tutoring on glitter products to use, how to apply them, etc.  Hope someone has the time to discuss this.  I want to do this right as I like the guy, he's an old-timer who has shown me a lot of good "honeyholes" and offered up a lot of fishing wisdom.  Appreciate any help offered.

I haven't done a glitter stripe with a stencil, but I've found that the farther I hold a stencil from the bait, and the closer I hold the air brush to the stencil, the softer the edges of the stenciled shapes become.  I play around each time, to get the effect I want, by moving both the stencil and the brush until my sample is right, and then I use that setup on my lures.  I tried this for a faint chartreuse stripe on a sexy shad paint scheme, and it worked, but it was a pain.

I think you may have trouble shooting glitter through an air brush without need a very big tip and high pressure.

Have you thought of spraying a thin line of Createx clear as the stripe, and then dusting on the glitter by hand while the clear is still wet, using a spoon, until you get what you want?

I add glitter to clear Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails nail polish, and use that to make m glitter accents.  I don't know why it wouldn't work for glitter stripes, too.

Let us know how you finally do it.

Edited by mark poulson

Thanks for the fast reply Mark.  Was just looking at glitter nail polish....must be a million different colors and textures. Do you think nail polish in the right color  painted on with the brush, then dusted with rainbow glitter would have the same effect as your idea?  Sounds pretty good if, I understand correctly.  I thought about spraying Createx Iridescent Turquoise for the line then dusting rainbow glitter over it, but thought I better get "schooled" before doing anything.  Here's some detail I forgot to mention:  The lures are finished lures, they're painted and clear coated. I was planning on putting the glitter stripe on, and then doing another clear coat to seal the stripe.  Am I heading in the right direction?  I'll be testing on a few old lures of my own.

TU is unreal... I don't know of any other site where you can post and get almost instant responses from experienced tackle builders who are willing to share their knowledge...outstanding!  Just wish I could figure out how to post pics and edit my stuff.......thinking its my laptop???

Edited by boisarc
  • Like 1

Try spraying the lateral line using a stencil and Createx Clear Coat. Before the clear dries sprinkle your glitter on the strip of clear you just laid down then heat set as normal. You could even brush the clear on with an artists brush instead of spraying. As long as rest of the bait is dry and free of anything that will cause the glitter to adhere the glitter can be easily brushed away from those areas.

Ben

There is several ways to add a glitter stripe to your bait.If you want a clean edged stripe your going to need to lay down your tape covering the whole bait except for the striped area.. Now lightly spray this area with some clear laquer ( if laquer will react with your paint.. use a small brush and paint the area with polyacrilic which is water based) now lay a paper towel down and hold the bait over the towel and shake on your glitter covering the striped area..Then flip the bait over and apply the other side...now lightly pat the glitter down on each side with your forefinger and let dry.When dry peel off the tape and lightly brush off any loose glitter and top coat.

If you want a more irregular stripe..don't tape the bait off..just use a fine brush and run a stripe of polyacrilic down the side and finish as above..

Another option is to lay a stripe of polyacrilic down then lay down a piece of pearl flashabou ( Google it..it is found in fly shops) let dry then top coat...Nathan

All great ideas thanks everyone.  Nathan has my curiosity going with the poly acrylic line sprinkled with glitter.  I'm guessing the poly acrylic will burn in with the previous coating.  I intend to refinish the lure with a clear coat once the stripe and glitter are in place.  I'm thinking.... tape a line on the bait and paint with Createx Iridescent Turquoise...dry time.... followed by a clear, maybe poly acrylic, then micro glitter over the still wet clear and tamp the glitter down lightly....dry time....peal the tape and loose glitter off and apply a clear finish coat over the entire lure.  Is this the correct process, or did I miss something?  Can't believe  the amount of knowledge shared on this subject in such a short time.....awesome!   Sidenote: Is the hardbait cookbook  still open for new posts.  Its a great idea and I have a few patterns I'd like to share.

Thanks for the fast reply Mark.  Was just looking at glitter nail polish....must be a million different colors and textures. Do you think nail polish in the right color  painted on with the brush, then dusted with rainbow glitter would have the same effect as your idea?  Sounds pretty good if, I understand correctly.  I thought about spraying Createx Iridescent Turquoise for the line then dusting rainbow glitter over it, but thought I better get "schooled" before doing anything.  Here's some detail I forgot to mention:  The lures are finished lures, they're painted and clear coated. I was planning on putting the glitter stripe on, and then doing another clear coat to seal the stripe.  Am I heading in the right direction?  I'll be testing on a few old lures of my own.

It would probably work, like everything else people here have suggested.

I find the best way to see if a new technique/paint scheme will work is to try it on a piece of white PVC pipe first.  That way, I can play around until I get something I like, without having to wash any failures off my bait. Plus you can keep the pipe for future reference.

Everyone here on TU learned from someone else, and it's usually from someone here as well.

That's what makes this site so great.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Why not just tape the area off and mix some 2 part epoxy with the glitter in it... brush it on and level it with the brush to a thin coat. Then before it sets, pull the tape off and hang the lure. If it's a thin enough coat it will not run. Doing it this way will keep any high spots from happening... they are very possible if you try to dust it. Glitter will stick to anything thats tacky. Afterwards you could clear the lure again if you want but if it's already finished, there would be no need. Hitting the epoxy/glitter with a hair drier will usually knock any bubbles you may have out and it'll be a pretty smooth finish except for the feel of thr glitter. It's easier to get your mixture right doing it this way for me.

Boisarc,

That is correct...but it will not burn in to the paint..It will lay on top.I like using polyacrilic over epoxy for a couple reasons..It is thinner and lays flatter so it is easier to cover with your top coat..plus if your taping your line you definatley want to get that tape off before that epoxy sets.

Any body reading this should definatley try adding a lateral line with Flashabou type products.Generaly the Flashabou for salt water flies is a bit wider and easier to use..The pearlescent colors look incredible after they are top coated...Nathan

Nathan,

I Googled "Pearl Flashabou"... the stuff looks like a great item to use on a lure.   I found a tackle shop nearby that carries pearl flashabou and I'm thinking I need to give it a try.  Holographic flash looks very interesting...have you used it?  I'm guessing the Flashabou goes on one strip at a time...a single strip on each side of the lure?

One piece on each side will do.I personally like the the pearlescent the best but any of the colors will work great....Here before long they will be stocking Christmas tinsel ...in pearl,silver and gold.This tinsel is the exact same stuff but is a fraction of the cost.. especially if you stock up after Christmas on close out...Nathan

I am trying some glitter glue on a couple of unpainted jerkbaits right now. I put a bead of  glitter glue down the top of the jerkbait and spread it around with a small paintbrush. (tree house glitter glue) The baits took about twelve hours to dry hard. I haven't top coated them yet, but they look good.

Ended up using painters tape and cutting a stripe with an Xacto knife.  Taped it to the side of the lures being careful to align everything and then laid down a coat of opaque white, then followed up with iridescent turquoise and sprinkled a bit of rainbow micro glitter across the stripe.  I used a small shader brush to scoop up glitter like using a shovel then tapped gently on the brush to get a fine layer of glitter.  Once it dried I blew the loose glitter off and followed with a clear gloss.  Looks really good.  Does anyone know if glitter loses its color when dipped into Eagle Supreme Sealer?  I'm going to test it when I get some free time.  I would post pictures of the glitter stripe results but I can't figure out how to post on this site :?

Ended up using painters tape and cutting a stripe with an Xacto knife.  Taped it to the side of the lures being careful to align everything and then laid down a coat of opaque white, then followed up with iridescent turquoise and sprinkled a bit of rainbow micro glitter across the stripe.  I used a small shader brush to scoop up glitter like using a shovel then tapped gently on the brush to get a fine layer of glitter.  Once it dried I blew the loose glitter off and followed with a clear gloss.  Looks really good.  Does anyone know if glitter loses its color when dipped into Eagle Supreme Sealer?  I'm going to test it when I get some free time.  I would post pictures of the glitter stripe results but I can't figure out how to post on this site :?

Here's a little tip you may not have heard about. Sometimes when using tape to mask a lure it can pull up some of the paint with it. Anytime I use painters tape to mask a lure I always stick it onto my shirt or blue jeans a few times. Doing that lets lint stick to the tape and decrease it's adhesive properties. It will still stick to the paint job, but it will come off much easier and lessen the chance it will lift paint with it.

Ben

Here's a little tip you may not have heard about. Sometimes when using tape to mask a lure it can pull up some of the paint with it. Anytime I use painters tape to mask a lure I always stick it onto my shirt or blue jeans a few times. Doing that lets lint stick to the tape and decrease it's adhesive properties. It will still stick to the paint job, but it will come off much easier and lessen the chance it will lift paint with it.

Ben

Some of us actually wash our clothes once in a while, so that technique doesn't work as well.  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Some of us actually wash our clothes once in a while, so that technique doesn't work as well.  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

If the blue jean trick doesn't work for you Mark just hold the tape up to your ears and shake a little sawdust out of your ears and onto the tape. That should keep the tape from peeling the paint off. :lol::P:lol:

Ben