Musky Glenn

Plug Knocker

With the price of musky lures being what they are I put my plug knocker to good use. I use a Bass Pro Shop model that has the three chains hanging down. I usually get my lure by hanging one of the chains in one of the treble hooks. But what I wanted to share with you is the rope I use to be able to straighten out a musky hook. I use parachute cord and it works great. Give it a try some time. Musky Glenn

Musky,

I have the same plug knocker from BPS.  I just order some 250lb kevlar braid for it.  

FREE SHIPPING 100ft 250lb Braided Kevlar Line for Fishing / Camping /Kite Flying
Item# 280891893387 $6.99 USD 1 $6.99 USD logo_ebay_62x26.gif Shipping and handling $0.00 USD Insurance - not offered ---- Total $6.99 USD Payment $6.99 USD

I am hoping it won't cut my hands like the const. nylon line I was using did.

Edited by mark poulson

I have been using the same plug knocker for alot of years now. In order to get the most out of your plug knocker you must upgrade the chains. The chains that come with it are weak and will break. As you can see from the picture I attach mine to a reel and put on to a 1" wooden rod for my handle. I no longer have tangled up line when using my retriever. I have one reel that is my deep water retriever and one that is my shallow water retriever. The deep reel is cumbersom but it can go down to 60 feet. My shallow low profile reel goes down to 24 feet but fits in my hand easier. The one in the picture is my deep retriever.

retriever1.JPG

The next 2 pictures show a modification I made to my retriever that allows me to get my A-rigs back without bending the wires. It works great. I drill a hole through the retriever bend a steel rod in the shape that you see and then epoxy everything into place. When the retriever slides over the head of the A-rig the hooks grab underneath the head inbetween the wires so that when you pull everything is being pulled straight. That way your hooks are being straightened out but your wires are still straight. Works perfectly.

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

It has been years since I have lost a lure with treble hooks to a snag. We do alot of blade baiting in 30 to 50 feet up here and I am not afraid to put it in places I shouldn't because I know that I am getting it back. I have NEVER lost an A-rig.

Mark, If you put it on to an old reel you will never cut your hands again and that short stick it is on gives you enough leverage to straighten any hook. You can get a dowel and hose clamps at your local hardware store for less than $7.

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

retriever1.JPG

retriever2.JPG

retriever3.JPG

post-16753-0-38530100-1413900829_thumb.jpg

post-16753-0-76936400-1413900843_thumb.jpg

post-16753-0-05013900-1413900854_thumb.jpg

Edited by bass100

Although they won't reach 60ft depths I really like the extension pole type retrievers I think mine will reach 20ft and as I don't usually fish water deeper than that they work great I ended up giving the retriever I had that was like the ones in the pictures above to a fishing buddy I really think if you guys give the extension pole type a try you'll love them to

I have been using the same plug knocker for alot of years now. In order to get the most out of your plug knocker you must upgrade the chains. The chains that come with it are weak and will break. As you can see from the picture I attach mine to a reel and put on to a 1" wooden rod for my handle. I no longer have tangled up line when using my retriever. I have one reel that is my deep water retriever and one that is my shallow water retriever. The deep reel is cumbersom but it can go down to 60 feet. My shallow low profile reel goes down to 24 feet but fits in my hand easier. The one in the picture is my deep retriever.

attachicon.gifretriever1.JPG

The next 2 pictures show a modification I made to my retriever that allows me to get my A-rigs back without bending the wires. It works great. I drill a hole through the retriever bend a steel rod in the shape that you see and then epoxy everything into place. When the retriever slides over the head of the A-rig the hooks grab underneath the head inbetween the wires so that when you pull everything is being pulled straight. That way your hooks are being straightened out but your wires are still straight. Works perfectly.

attachicon.gifretriever2.JPG

attachicon.gifretriever3.JPG

It has been years since I have lost a lure with treble hooks to a snag. We do alot of blade baiting in 30 to 50 feet up here and I am not afraid to put it in places I shouldn't because I know that I am getting it back. I have NEVER lost an A-rig.

Mark, If you put it on to an old reel you will never cut your hands again and that short stick it is on gives you enough leverage to straighten any hook. You can get a dowel and hose clamps at your local hardware store for less than $7.

Impressive.  I haven't seen chains like that since my second wife....don't ask.

I actually have an old round reel that I plan on using, along with a rod butt left over after I cut the rod label off and sent it in for warranty replacement.

I'll add a short rod section with a guide, and I'll be good to go.

Thanks for the idea.

Edited by mark poulson

Jaw, Those pole retrievers do work well as I have used my nephews several times. The fact is I'm just to cheap to buy one!!!! Musky Glenn

Yes they are a little pricey I picked one up and put it back for probably a year before I finally decided to break down and get one but no regrets since,I can't tell you how much money it's saved me I know it's paid for itself multiple times by now. The thing I like most about it over the knockers is the amount of control you have being able to put direct pressure on whatever your trying to retrieve it works well above water to when a tree steps in front of your cast as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this happen

Edited by Jaw

Well I'm not sure about Musky plug knockers but I can tell you what works unbelievable well for smaller baits. I get a big salt water lead weight, I think they're bell type weights and have the swivel type hookup molded in. You attach a snap or swivel to the weight and when you're hung up just attach the weight to your line via the snap and slide it down your line. This costs you about $1.50 and so far for me, its been 100%  effective. There have been times where it takes me a few minutes but you just keep jerking your rod tip and eventually the weight works your bait lose. It works crazy good for as simple as it is. I use I think, 2 oz to 4 oz weights. I'm not sure if this would work on a big musky bait but it's good to have one in your boat.