KelpKritter

Spraying Concrete Sealer

So I had a buddy who asked me to repaint a Savage Gear jointed swimbait and agreed knowing I had two options to clear coat it based on my resourses and experience.  Because I dip all of the swimbaits I make in individual pieces in GST before assembly I knew my only option with this bait was to spray it on.  My testing of brushing the GST was not good as it flashes so quickly I was dragging through the paint leaving obvious marks in the paint. My other option was to brush on Solarez.  My preference is the GST so I went ahead and bought a $12.00 Adjustable Mini Touch Up Spray Gun from Harbor Freight to see if it would do the job.  My biggest concern was cleaning the gun and whether on not I would clog the tip because it flashes off pretty quick from my experience dipping and trying to brush.  Well it cleaned up just fine and it sprayed one bait just fine.  The only issue I had was seeing a little ball of the GST starting to form at the spray nozzle when I took it apart to clean. Seems like it would be easy to pull away while spraying if needed.  

The finished results look promising. The coats go on a lot thinner than dipping and I am not sure how many I will ultimately put on.  The downside is the excessive overspray so there is some waste. This is not a method you would necessarily want to use for a single bait. I see using the sprayer when I have a lot of baits ready and can whip through them using the spray gun in a minute.

As I finish the bait over the next couple of days with more coats I will let you know how it goes.

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Edited by KelpKritter

Sprayed eight baits but have not been able to doing any testing.  The coats go on super thin so I sprayed them all once, went back and sprayed them again and repeated the process for three sessions about 24 hours apart.  They still do not have the same thickness as a dipped bait so we will have to see how they hold up.  One advantage is I do not have to worry one bit about cleaning up a drip edge and what I found to be somewhat problematic because that little spot always seemed softer than the rest of the bait.  Hopefully going to throw the baits a little this coming weekend.

DaveB.

KelpKritter