jonister

Airbrushing Techniques

If you're trying to make a bird lure, painting feathers will probably be a tough nut to crack.

If I were doing it, I'd probably treat the feathers like big, overlapping scales, and use the same overlapping semi-circle technique I've seen here to paint them first.

I'd shoot a clear protective coat over that, and then add the finer "lines" with an artist's brush or sharpies, and contrasting colors.

I like to keep in mind that my baits are meant to give the fish the impression of a living prey items, not an exact duplicate.  

Otherwise, I'd be lost, because I can't paint details for beans.  That's why I use sharpies for lines and gills and rat hair and stuff.

not sure what tip air bush you got but dagger strokes may help. i like mine with .02 tipped air brushes but you really got to practice them to do it right. they are a real pain with big tip air brushes just a tip. i apologize about having to ask to move the post some people just really complain with their thread gets  hi jacked  cause there trying to keep up with two topics at once. now i feel i can answer you more freely with out fear of retaliation for hi jacking the tread lol's. look up the video by coast air brush and Craig Fraser. Craig does nice murals on automotive cars fridge doors so on a lot of what he does is dagger strokes to give it that added appearance of realism.