RSNeely

Skirts

It depends on size and type of jig. I will tie a 1/4oz finesse jig with 30 to 35 strands which is 1.5 tabs plus a few accent strands, but a 1/4oz Arky jig I'll use 44 to 50 strands which is equal to 2 tabs or 2 tabs and a few accent strands.  If I'm tying 1/2oz flipping jigs for dirty water I'll use 3 tabs or 2.5 tabs for slightly clearer water but if you really want a rule of thumb type deal, then jigs 1/4oz to 3/8oz can use 2 tabs and 3/8oz and up will have 3 tabs, there really isn't any standard.

Like smalljaw stated, it depends on what you want. If it is for yourself, than you can put in whatever you want. If you are going to sell them, many come with 2-1/2 tabs which is 55 strands as a standard, but not always.  Nowadays, you see less and less strands because some companies want to save money and/or they might want to be different than their competition. The less strands the faster the fall, and naturally the more strands the bigger the profile and the slower the fall.