bamabass78

What Head For Bucktail/hair Jigs

I use a few different kinds but most of my hair jigs are small, I'm using 1/16oz up to 1/4oz for big river smallmouth up to 6 lbs. I don't think a weed guard matters, I make some with a fiber weed guard, a wire weed guard and no weed guard and I prefer no guard as you will lose a few no matter what. For me, I really like the walleye head with a ball collar, I don't need eye on it as the ball collar gives me the perfect amount of flair, not too much but enough to give the hair a pulsating action. The walleye head seems to do really well in rocks but again, having the right weight makes a big difference, too light and current sweeps it too high off bottom, too heavy and it will wedge in rocks quickly, and when you get it right it will tick the bottom as the current will keep it rolling right along the tops of the rocks. I do tie on football heads, ball heads and Arky heads as well and they all work but it just depends on type of water and cover, depth of water and the size jig I need which dictate which head I use.

• Like 1

I tie from 1/32 to 1/2 oz.  I use mostly round heads but for the larger ones I have to go to the bullet because I don't have a 3/8 or 1/2 cavity in any of my round head molds.  I don't see any difference in the functionality of the two types.  I sometimes flatten the round to an aspirin shape for a little faster fall.