aaarneson

What Is A Good Vibrating Jig Mold?

I use the "Weedless Style S Bass Jig" from Do It. Their part number is 3316. I prefer to not use a split ring but open the hook eye and install the blade. I like the Mustad 32798 as my hook and prefer the 4/0 or 5/0. No weed guard for this application and use a Teflon base hole pin and position it to just plug the weedguard slot at the edge of the cavity. If you want more pics and detail PM me. Here's a pic of finished jig.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-29484-0-03808900-1414437779_thumb.jpg

^^^^^^That will certainly work^^^^^

If you would rather use the regular eye and open the hook to install the blade, this is how I do that. I have a piece of metal stock and drill a hole in it as close to the edge as you can get it. Make the hole just large enough to relieve the tip of a center punch, but small enough to catch the radius of the eye of your hook. Lay your eye on the hole and take a center punch and open the eye up with it. Make take a couple blows to get it just right. Go easy and open that hook eye up just enough to slip your blade under it. Be sure to bend all your blades first and install in the proper orientation. Close your eye with a stout pair of pliers.

One other trick that I have learned and wanted to share is how to keep the powder paint off your hook eye. You need to paint the head before you install the blade and the hook eye needs to be clean so the blade will work correctly. I found some foil tape that had a thin adhesive on it covered with paper. Perfect for cutting to size and covering that hook eye to powder and will withstand the heat. Remove the tape before you bake the paint to cure it. Here's a photo or two.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

post-29484-0-04239700-1414451900_thumb.jpg

post-29484-0-87411700-1414451950_thumb.jpg

post-29484-0-23847300-1414451994_thumb.jpg

post-29484-0-70061500-1414452024_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

If you would rather use the regular eye and open the hook to install the blade, this is how I do that. I have a piece of metal stock and drill a hole in it as close to the edge as you can get it. Make the hole just large enough to relieve the tip of a center punch, but small enough to catch the radius of the eye of your hook. Lay your eye on the hole and take a center punch and open the eye up with it. Make take a couple blows to get it just right. Go easy and open that hook eye up just enough to slip your blade under it. Be sure to bend all your blades first and install in the proper orientation. Close your eye with a stout pair of pliers.

One other trick that I have learned and wanted to share is how to keep the powder paint off your hook eye. You need to paint the head before you install the blade and the hook eye needs to be clean so the blade will work correctly. I found some foil tape that had a thin adhesive on it covered with paper. Perfect for cutting to size and covering that hook eye to powder and will withstand the heat. Remove the tape before you bake the paint to cure it. Here's a photo or two.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

What brand hook are you using?

One other trick that I have learned and wanted to share is how to keep the powder paint off your hook eye. You need to paint the head before you install the blade and the hook eye needs to be clean so the blade will work correctly. I found some foil tape that had a thin adhesive on it covered with paper. Perfect for cutting to size and covering that hook eye to powder and will withstand the heat. Remove the tape before you bake the paint to cure it. Here's a photo or two.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Perfect....Thanks!

Where can one find that foil tape?

Hook is a Mustad 32798. I really like the 5/0 but you may have to use the 4/0 on a 3/8. Can't recall. I'm thinking you can find the tape at Home Depot or that. I found my piece of a roll in my attic some workers left. When I saw it the light bulb went on and also bells and whistles because I have been looking for a product to help with this for a long time. If you've ever fought cured powder paint, you know where I'm coming from.

I too use banana heads. I have a couple different molds including the doit and some lil mac that I have buying off of ebay of various sizes up to 1 oz. I open the eyes the same way as Ap does but with Gamy hooks I find that about 1 in 5 breaks. Teflon plumbers tape does the same thing on the eyes.

Hook is a Mustad 32798. I really like the 5/0 but you may have to use the 4/0 on a 3/8. Can't recall. I'm thinking you can find the tape at Home Depot or that. I found my piece of a roll in my attic some workers left. When I saw it the light bulb went on and also bells and whistles because I have been looking for a product to help with this for a long time. If you've ever fought cured powder paint, you know where I'm coming from.

Do you mean the 32786?  The 32798 is a flat eye hook.

Edited by mark poulson

I too use banana heads. I have a couple different molds including the doit and some lil mac that I have buying off of ebay of various sizes up to 1 oz. I open the eyes the same way as Ap does but with Gamy hooks I find that about 1 in 5 breaks. Teflon plumbers tape does the same thing on the eyes.

I did 15 a week ago and I only had 1 break on the Mustads. If you are real aggressive with the hammer, you can break every one. Only open the eye enough to slip the blade under. Sometimes I remove a bit of lead with my knife if I haven't opened the eye enough or some extra flash is in the way.

• Like 1

I put the punch in the chuck of my drill press and use the drill handle to lower the punch with steady pressure.  I use the depth gauge to lock the travel so it will not go too deep and break the eye. Works pretty well for me.

Excellent tip.  So many of us forget the "press" part of drill press.  Drill presses also make great handing tapping guides for keeping taps straight if you put a center in them instead of a chuck.  

I would caution that most lower price drill presses probably will not hold up to production volumes when used as a press.  For opening hooks its probably a pretty light load, but something like setting pins (which you can easily do on a quality (expensive) drill press) you would probably wear out the rack and pinion fairly quickly.  Also a cheap drill press will probably flex more than is good for finished results if used as a heavy press.  

And ultimately it boils down to what you found.  Finding a way to get the job done, which your answer does very well.  

Take a dremel to the hook eye cavity in whatever mold you want to use. Make the hook eye cavity larger. Then just use a straight shank hook and a figure 8 link. That's what I've been doing. Works really well.

This is also the method I use.  The Figure 8 lin from lurepartsonline works pretty well with a 4/0 spinnberbait hook