jbdesigns

First Finished Jig Head

so as many of you had read, i was trying to find a jig head with a larger recessed eye

I was never able to find exactly what i was looking for so i decided to work on it myself

First i took my 1/8oz round jig head

2s65082.jpg

Then my pliers with two 3/16" rods epoxied on

20f9oux.jpg

I then held the jig in the pliers, but before squuezing i held it over the heat gun for a 10-15 count

and bobs your uncle.

2ykfiix.jpg

After an hour of messing around watching sportscentre i had 40 made up ready for paint.

11b6is2.jpg

and finished

mbhegz.jpg

i know this is very similar to the socket eye jig mold, but i'm going to try the same diameter pin, or 1/8" on a 1/16oz and i've allready got a 5/16" pin ready on another set of pliers for the 1/4oz

That is a nice elegant solution.  I like the thought and the outcome very much.  

I am curious. What epoxy did you use?

I personally like epoxy for a lot of applications because it bonds to many things well, is very strong, and can be released with heat.  In fact its why I use 5 minute expoxy for rod tip tops.  Fixed in position in 5-10 minutes.  Fishable in 45, full strength in a day, and if you heat up the tip top it comes right off to be replaced again if need be.  

Its the heat part that got my attention.  

Edited by Bob La Londe

If you used an arbor press could you eliminate the heat?

Possibly but who has an arbor press at home(other than Bob of course)? I guess I could take some to work and use theirs but....

This poor mans alternative seems to have worked out well. Nice job!!!

I might have to steal this idea to try a few jigs.

Edited by Kasilofchrisn

Neat idea. I might have to use it myself! You might not need the heat if you use a pair of pliers with more leverage. I'm thinking Channel Locks

Agreed, I'm not sure channel locks would work as the direction of pressure that is applied.

However I did get a larger better set for me to do the 1/4"

That is a nice elegant solution.  I like the thought and the outcome very much.  

I am curious. What epoxy did you use?

I personally like epoxy for a lot of applications because it bonds to many things well, is very strong, and can be released with heat.  In fact its why I use 5 minute expoxy for rod tip tops.  Fixed in position in 5-10 minutes.  Fishable in 45, full strength in a day, and if you heat up the tip top it comes right off to be replaced again if need be.  

Its the heat part that got my attention.  

i just used some gorilla glue epoxy i have here at work

confession

i used superglue on the 1/8" pins on the first set of pliers... worked great

then i used epoxy on the 1/4"pins...

the heat tore the epoxy apart and i had to go back to the super glue.

just some loctite super glue...

also here is a 1/2 jig with a 1/4 socket and 6mm eye

15ob0jk.jpg

and finished with glow paints

1268dw1.jpg