edgecrusher

Filling In Weedguard Hole

Hi,

I have a heap of heads I'm going to use as chatterbait types, but they've got a weedguard hole, which I won''t be using, what would you guys recommend for filling this hole with? I will be pwdercoating afterwards, so would need to take that heat, would automotive body filler do the trick?

Basseducer is correct. I have used JB weld, waited for it to cure hard, and then file smooth. Paint and you're done. Check one before you do all of them. My experience might be different than yours, However I have never had and problems. Make sure you overfill, so you don't have voids in the hole and also so the JB weld can level itself out. Better to have more and file than to have a void , as that looks worse than just having a hole in there.

Edge, instead of filling it with JB and waiting for it to dry, take some base pins and dremmel/sand them down so the sit flush with the top of the jig. It won't create the weedguard hole at all, and it blocks the lead from flowing everywhere. I have an arky head that I do this with to make chatterbaits and it works perfect. You might get a little flashing around the top, but it very easy to file smooth and much quicker than the JB weld method.

Edge, instead of filling it with JB and waiting for it to dry, take some base pins and dremmel/sand them down so the sit flush with the top of the jig. It won't create the weedguard hole at all, and it blocks the lead from flowing everywhere. I have an arky head that I do this with to make chatterbaits and it works perfect. You might get a little flashing around the top, but it very easy to file smooth and much quicker than the JB weld method.

Absolutely- did that 20 years ago and it works in spades.

I'm not sure if this would work but I've been thinking of trying to use powder paint itself as a filler material for small defects or even as an adhesive for prototype metal baits.  It would have to be set up enough that it doesn't run when curing the final paintjob.  Would be heat-compatible for sure.  I'd rig the jigs up on a hotplate and figure out some way (eyedropper?) to add a bit of powder to fill the voids.  Just a thought.