joelhains

Plastic Freezing?

I was shooting some baits last night in my garage and got to wondering if liquid plastic has an issue if it freezes? Tonight we are supposed to dip below freezing for the first time this year and all my liquid plastic is out in my unheated garage. Will plastic still be usable after it freezes and thaws?

It seems we covered this topic waaaaaaaaaay back in the archives, but for the life of me I can't remember what the conclusion was.  I CAN tell you I've known many guys throughout the country (and Canada) who've poured, and I've never heard about plastic and/or liquid colorant freezing, although I don't know what their storage procedures are.  Just for kicks, I just searched freezing points on both and came up with zip!  Hmmmmm........... :?

Thanks DaBehr. I would think there is a rather large number of baitmakers who like me, work out of there unheated garages. This would most likely be widely known if there was a problem with uncooked plastic freezing.

There are many plastic baitmakers out there in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maine, and scattered all over Canada. I'm sure many of them store their materials in unheated garages, sheds, and barns at -10F to -30F without problems. I know it's been asked about before, but I don't think freezing has ever been mentioned as being a problem.

Rick

I put a cup of uncooked plastic in the freezer last night. After about 10 hours or so it is still in its liquid form. The Pyrex cup its in is all frosted but the plastic is still liquid. I'll try cooking and shooting it this morning just to be sure its all good, but I have no reason to think it won't be OK.