ING

Spinners Noise

Some spinners like Mepps Aglia Long and some spinners that I made are creating ringing nose (din-din-din-din...) while retrieving. I could hear that noise even through water. Is it good? Is it bad? Is it normal? It is known that some of lures for largemouth bass have been designed for making noise for attracting of the bass. Is it working for salmon?

I'm old enough that I've been able to witness a lot of these lure manufacturers first creations and how they evolved over the years. One of the rarest things that happens when lures evolve is when you have a bait that is so good that only cosmetic changes happen. Blue Fox came out many years ago with a spinner called the Vibrax, now it is the Classic Vibrax but it has withstood the test of time with little change, why? Because it works and that spinner was designed with a "bell" body and a type of gear inside that would spin and ring the bell during a retrieve, now I'm not a salmon or steelhead or any other species besides  bass but I know that the sound was a killer for smallmouths, tackle shops would sell out in a day when they got them in and they got to the point of being hard to find when no internet existed. I imagine they do work for other species as those spinners now have more sizes and the larger ones even have siwash hooks included with them. The Mepps Aglia has been around longer than the Blue Fox but I'm going to guess that they too have a ring to them because if they didn't then Blue Fox never happens.

Color of tail couldn't be only pink or some other. This year most popular and productive color for chinook on Sacramento was green. I know that noise is OK. Question is: how strong that noise could be. I've asked about ringing kind of church bell that heard throw the water. Is it not spooking fish?  

Pink is just the go to. Most definitely other colors work. My belief on the noise is, when they are being aggressive....more noise the better...when spooked.....lockjaw...chances are they are not going to bite anything! Seen it a million times, well not quite a million but seems like it.