tpvegas

Airbrush On A Budget

Iwata or Pasche is the route I would go.  Budgeting is a good practice but I hate seeing it used in posts because it translates to  what is the cheapest route and for many that is about the only deciding factor.  Very rarely (especially if the individual has actually used other products) is cheap the route to go sure they will stick to their guns and use "good enough", "not a professional", "hobby", etc... but bottom line they have junk and it is an inferior product.   Stick to a feasible budget and buy soundly and you will end up with tools that meet your needs with a lot less frustration.  

Edited by Travis
  • Like 2

I would love to go and buy a $100 + brush but at this time I can't but I would like to get somthing to get started so I can learn different techniques so when I can afford a good brush I will have better results unless someone has a used one they can part with for a reasonable price

My recommendation would be the Iwata Eclipse HP-CS or HP-BS @ $142 if you plan on spraying water based acrylics hands down this brush is great, If you plan on doing a little bit of everything I also have the Paasche Talon TG which you can buy loaded (3 different needle/nozzle combo) @ $109 or as a base setup with the .38 needle/nozzle @ $74 these prices are with free shipping from Chicago Airbrush Supply.

Iwata etc. are really great guns. However, to me they lack when shooting broad strokes of paint. They just don't put out enough paint to cover well. If I had to choose 1 gun for everything it would be the paasche VL. It is double action and it comes in a kit with everything you need except the air compressor all for under $100. Get one used if you need to. No big deal there. If you buy cheap guns you get cheap results.....period. This is a good product with multiple needles, air hose, mixing jars and caps. Is it the best....no. But, you can get excellent results with it. Plus it is easy to tear down, clean, and reassemble. And trust me..... that is very important. I have had mine for 14 yrs. and I still use it a lot. You can get professional results out of this gun and it is an excellent gun to learn with. Another huge plus is that you can get parts for it at most hobby stores and they are not expensive. Buying tips for an Iwata will make you grab your chest. Good luck.

Skeeter

I have a paasche millennium. I paid $59, plus shipping from Chicago air Brush "Supply. It seems like a good airbrush. I used it a couple of times. I had been using an Iwata which quit me :pissed:

, that is why I bought the paasche. It it bigger around than the Iwata and I didn't like the feel because I was use to the Iwata. Now I am using a pistol grip.

I have had this over a year, Maybe some others can give you some feedback on an airbrush like this, I will put it in the classifieds  if you or anyone else is interested.

Yes I was told you can buy the needle/nozzle for the NEO BCN at .5mm I have the CN and one thing you need to know is the nozzle is super small and the threads appear to be very fragile I've yet to strip them but it seems it's only a matter of time. the bigger the nozzle the wider the pattern and the larger the paint atomization is in most cases, the farther away from your work the bigger the pattern but you risk the paint drying before it hits the work I use bigger nozzles for heavy body paints, pearls, craft paints and primer/base coats and the like but mainly stick with .3mm to .38mm for finish work.

If you look at the pics in the gallery and ask which airbrushes were used to do the work, you'll learn that it's the airbrusher that creates the art, not the airbrush.  It takes time and effort to learn what exactly an airbrush can do and how best to get the results you want from the particular airbrush you have.  That said, I've used a Badger 170, a Paasche VL, an Iwata HP+, and an Iwata Revolution BR and of them all, I like the Revolution BR best.  For me, it's .3mm tip is just the right size for shooting paints of various thicknesses and the small 1/16? oz gravity feed cup is easiest to clean and right-sized for the small batches of baits I paint as a hobby builder.  Its approximate $80 retail price also makes it a good deal considering its made-in-Japan high build quality.  The Iwata Neo is not made in Japan and I've read both good and bad things about them.  Don't cheap out on the air compressor.  You want good CONTINUOUS pressure.  Small Asian compressors often advertise their MAX pressure, which goes away 1 second after you pull the trigger on your airbrush.  "30 psi" instantly becomes 15 psi, which is not enough for all lure painting tasks.  Most guys are happiest using a regular tool compressor that employs an air tank.  Mine is a Porter Cable 6 gallon 135 psi tool compressor that I really like.  Saw them on sale at Lowes home centers last week for $99.

I started out with a $25 Badger single action siphon feed plastic airbrush powered with a can of compressed gas.  It worked but I soon outgrew it.  It pays to use good equipment because you will learn faster with fewer limitations/hassles and get better results.  But it all depends on your wallet size, plans, hopes, etc.

Edited by BobP

It will save you a lot of head aches if you run 50# of air to a small regulator close to your air brush. You will then be able to adjust the air down to as little as you like without having to leave the area to go to the air compressor. I believe you can get a regulator at Harbor Freight for around $15. with a moisture separator.  Musky Glenn

I had a small Craftsman air compressor that didn't have a storage tank with it. I bought a portable air storage tank which I ran an air line from air compressor to storage tank. From storage tank I ran a short air line to my regulator which is attached to the side of my paint station. I add 90 # of air to tank and that will run me for about 2 hours before I have to turn the noisy air compressor back on. Musky Glenn