TheSilverFox

Paint Set Up?

Wondering how many guys use a face mask when painting or have some kind of painting booth set up. I see guys on the Internet painting and never see any of them using even a dust mask. I try to wear one but I admit I don't always wear it. I've been considering building a booth with a filter to stop some of the mist. I know the times I don't wear the mask I have paint in my nose. The mask I wear are for painting and they seem to stop most if not all the mist from getting to me.

I've been thinking about building a pretty good size booth... maybe 3x3 or 4x4 square and using a box fan to pull air out of it. I would use a regular house style AC filter to stop the mist... dust... what ever you want to call it.

Anybody have a set up like this or any idea's to share? Thanks

Depends on the type of paint. But it also is a cumulative effect of all the stuff we breath in over the years. You only get two lungs and once they are done that's about it for you. Always best to protect them.

As for size of paint booth the bigger the booth the bigger and stronger the fan you need.

Edited by Jdeee
  • Like 1

I spray water based paints only and never use a mask of any kind. My paint booth is a 18" sq. card board box which I spray into the open end. I usually spray with only 5-10 lb. of pressure and there is very little overspray. When I do my base coat which is a spray bomb can, I take it out side because there is 20 times more overspray from that than my spray gun.

I taught cabinetmaking for 29 years at a community college. When we sprayed polyurethane and lacquers, we always wore resperators. We had a large walk in paint booth with full draft ventilation. Never developed any problems from it but at the end of the day you could taste it and smell it for quite a while. This never happens to me with water based paints. But that is just my two cents worth, some people are more prone to problems than others. Musky Glenn

I use a booth that draws the fumes dust through a filter and vents outside and a mask...water based or lacquer does not matter. I don't want to be one of those guys in a few years that selling their stuff because of breathing related issues and saying ...should have warn a mask. I've beem told that even water based paints should not be inhaled... Just my 2 cents

Go with respirator you don't want to find out later your ill for not taking the precaution early. Make your booth the size needed for your task and don't go much bigger as stated the bigger the booth the larger the fan I made mine around a small furnace filter that way it fits perfect every time, and by the way a plastic tub is what I used and 4 inch dryer duct is my exhaust. Good luck with post up your efforts when your done!

I built an 11x11 room in my basement garage that is only used for painting. I'm no carpenter by any standards but it works well for me. With it being in the basement it usually stays in the 50-60 degree range year round. I have a little Lasko heater I use that will heat the room to 70-75 within 30 minutes or so from 60. My probelm is venting the air. Since 2 of the walls are concrete block and the 3rd is brick, the ability to vent to the outside is limited. The other wall just leads into the garage. I figured that if I immediately pulled the air in to an ac filter that it would limit the amount of mist in the air. I know most of it is dry right away but it would help some I think. The humidity stays in the 30 to 40 range. I do wear a mask most of the time... one of the 3M mask for painting.

I don't think the mist is a big problem since I hang my lures after they turn. They may hang there for weeks. I haven't seen any with anything on the clearcoat. I keep a box fan on all the time in the room circulating air.

Silver Fox

If you have a small window in the room, you could remove the pane and replace it with plexi or lexan and drill / cut out a 4 inch hole for a dryer vent and a small bathroom fan, that's what I did and it works great for everything from pouring resins, epoxying, solarez and painting or anything else that is nasty to breath in. I hooked it up to a big clear storage tub with lots of room to work in.

If that's not possible the box fan you have is usually 20" x 20" which is the exact size of a furnace filter to at least filter out anything airborne. You will be surprised at what the filter will look like after a couple of weeks LOL

Edited by Jdeee

Here is the deal on respirators........ You don't want paint in your lungs... PERIOD. Water based paint is just that. If you get it in your body it will eventually flush. (Not to say that it won't leave any damage behind). However, solvent based paints will not dissolve in the body. It will stay. Respirators will keep paint out if you wear it right. But, solvents and solvent based paints contain isocanates which is known to cause cancer. There are no store bought filters that will keep them out. That is why the need for ventilation. I have been using lacquers for over 8 yrs. I have a mask and a booth. I have never had any problems from spraying it. I am spraying baits not cars so there is not a great amount being used. I wear a glove on the hand that holds the bait when I shoot large amounts of paint for priming, base coating and stuff. It can soak in thru the pores of your skin too. But I don't when I shoot detailing like scales. You just have to be mindful and careful. I will NEVER go back to water based paints. Lacquers are so much better to shoot.  Hughesy probably shoots more paint in a month than most of us shoot in years. He probably hooks his airbrush up to 50 gallon drums of lacquer instead of using a cup. He was shooting lacquers before some on this site were born and he is still kicking. You don't need to be afraid of it, just careful.

switch to a paint brush? :yay:

Yeah right brother. In all of the years I have been on this site I have NEVER seen anyone with a tallent like yours. Bravo.

Skeeter

• Like 1

Has anyone ever tried a vacuum water filter? The vacuum water filters pull the vacuumed air through a water column. If this would work there would be no need for an exhaust vent since the particulates would be trapped in the water. You'd just have to change the dirty water every so often.

Just thinking aloud here folks.

Ben

p.s. John is the man when it comes to painting baits with a brush Skeeter. Never seen anything like it before. I would have sworn he used an airbrush until I bought his video and saw him painting.

Edited by RayburnGuy

A closed shop can be dangerous.  Use a dust mask for water based paints, and don't even try using solvent based paints, like lacquers and rattle cans, inside, unless you have a really good ventilation and filter system, and a respirator.

Skeeter is right.  Solvents are like herpes...they're with you for the rest of you life.

I inhaled dioxin from a wood preservative in the early 80's, and the damage still shows up on my MRI's.  

I built a plywood box out of 1/4" luan plywood. I used 1"x1" pine for the frame. Next I installed a Broan bathroom fan and a small light bar and connected those to a switch mounted to side of box. I used flex dryer vent tube and ran it from my paint box on my workbench in the basement and drilled a hole through the extieror floor joist, or band board as some may call it, installed a dryer vent that matches the siding on the house. I also installed a furnace filter to catch paint and lessen the amount that gets sucked up and out of house. Works beautifully. I should ad that I use createx water based paints. This set up would not be recommended for flameable paints as the electric fan components are not sealed, therefore sparks generated in the fan motor could possibly ignite fumes.I'll post some pictures if anyone would like to see my setup.

You'll need some type of photo editing software. If your using Microsoft you should have a Paint" program. Just open your pictures in "Paint" and resize them to an accepted size. If you don't have any photo editing software, and don't want to download any of the free programs found online, then send me a PM and maybe I can do it for you.

Ben