njbass

new here

I too am new to this but am finding out that its fairly simple...so far! First off you have to decide what it is you want to do. I wanted to design my own stuff, I went to a craft store and purchased some sculpey clay, clay tools, some plaster of paris and then off to the hardware store to get some water putty. the plaster and water putty is for the molds, clay is just to goof off and try and come up with something new. I first started to try and copy something simple, layed out some trailers in a pan and mixed and poured the plaster, after the wait I found I had made a pretty good mold with eight cavities, six of which came out great the other two didn't. I have made four new prototypes to cast in mold, just having a hard time making time for this new hobby. I suggest you buy some pyrex cups and a microwave for the plastic melting...I have everything to get started 'cept the plastic and color. My biggest suggestion would be to search everywhere thru this site it is very helpful and insightful, and always ask questions, someone will pop in and help.

Hey Jake, welcome! Man that's a great name B)

Start here:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/mx/index.php?page=10&mode=article&k=13

Most of the questions you asked can be answered here. There are some suppliers at the bottom of the article. Most of the guys here agree that our local members Delw and Senkosam supply some of the best products for this trade.

You can get alot of your supplies from several different sources. Lure craft, janns net craft, barlows tackle shack, M-F just to name a few if you want to just pour a few for you and some friends then it probably wont be cost efective. you can buy just about anything under the sun now days at a good price. But there are a few things that over time you could save money on. like "senko's" their a little over priced. You can get some very good aluminum molds from Bobs tackle shack and Del-Mart molds both are very good quality, and service. If you buy silicone molds you will find that the finish on your worms is not as shiny as with aluminum molds. If your like me you will find yourself in your work shop late at night pouring plastic, when you should be fishing or sleeping. Just my two cents.

Thanks you guys.

I just made my firts mold today out of plaster of paris, i used some of my trick worms to make the mold. It turned out very well(beginners luck :D ). I just need to order some plastic and some coloring. I am going to try and make some more tomarrow and maybe even a two part mold. I will let you know how it turns out. Where do you get the plastic to make senkos, like with the salt and everything, or does it turn out well with just plastic? Is it possible to make a two part mold out of plaster for them, or are you better off buying it?

Thanks a lot

Jake

NJBass

I always believed the best way to get started is to buy a small kit that has everything , mold plastic colors glitter etc.

go cheap cause you dont want to get your wife upset.

You can buy them from

Del-Mart http:/www.del-mart.com <--my place :wink:

lurecraft http://www.lurecraft.com

M-f manufacturing Dont knwo website

bass pro shops http://www.bassproshops.com

after you start cheap and you are like it and think you want to get into it more.

you will find lots of places that sell differnt Items

Senkosam for glitter, he has them all

and the above places for other stuff.

Delw

Jake:

Here's my 2 cents:

"Where do you get the plastic to make senkos, like with the salt and everything, or does it turn out well with just plastic? Is it possible to make a two part mold out of plaster for them, or are you better off buying it?"

I would look at Dels website for plastic, Calhouns has worked great for me. I've used popcorn salt from Walmart in my senkos with great luck. More power to you if you go for making the 2 part mold but I would seriously consider buying one from Bob or Del.

You can find great recipes on Dels website for colors and senko ingredients.

I've been pouring for just a couple months and have found that if you read, read, read and then practice, practice, practice, you will be able to do great.

Remember, for the most part, as anglers we care more about what something looks like than the fish. Slight imperfections in baits, even half round senkos, catch fish!!!

Good luck and welcome aboard...

Jim

Thanks, i think i will try to make my own mold before i spend 90$ on a mold. I have been reading but i also am trying to get some more info until i buy my plaastic(tomarrow). Here in nj you have all winter to sit around, so i figured it would be fun to make my own baits, and molds.

I realy appreciate all you guys help, i have a bunch of articles that i am going to read, but i know i will have more questions :).

Thanks

jake

I always add salt after heating. I was using popcorn salt and it worked good, But I went to a flour salt and it is easier to stir and won't settle in the bottom of the pan near as fast as the popcorn salt/ fine salt. The flour salt seams to allow more flexability in the bait then the courser salts do. Just remember when adding salt you will need to add more colorant to the plastic. With salt in the plastic you will probably notice that the plastic is stiffer, so you will need to add a little softener. but add to much softener and your baits will be like jello and may not even set up.

Njbass

look on my website or seach in here. I have instructions on how to mix the plastic for senkos. link called plastic formulas.

Senko molds are 49 and 90, kits that have everything for stiks are

Stik Mold kit includes: Choice of 4 cavity stik mold, gallon of plastic, quart of ultra-fine salt, quart of softener, 4oz. worm oil, three 1 oz. bottles of color, and three

1 oz. packages of glitter. All this for only $80.99 ( a $95.50 Value)

Delw