northbassman

Plaster Molds?

Glue the baits down in the container you want to cast in. I find for trailors I don't have to glue usually. Pour your plaster carefully over the baits. I usually take a spoon and spoon plaster over the baits then pour the remaining plaster carefully so not to disturb the baits. Let it set then demold. I then lay a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and work out any inperfections and make sure I have a good flat mold.

I spray my baits with YUM or some worm oil so they de-mold easier. Otherwise I have had some detail parts break out. I have had as much luck just pushing the bait down into the plaster (flat side UP) as I have pouring the plaster over.

Jim

PS Very important....Don't forget to bake your plaster mold at about 250 degrees for at least an hour to get the moisture out and coat it well with Devcon or heat resistant paint. My biggest mistake was not baking my molds and some of them cracked after a couple of pours.

I haven't baked a mold yet. It probably will bite me one day but basically I coat with devcon 5 minute and pour. I have gone from pouring plaster to plastic within an hour with no problems. I will say the rock puddy or similar stuff seems to need the extra curing but I have done the same with these products also. I just place a stack of paper towels under the mold to soak up residual water.

Most of my first molds I poured the plaster and then pushed the baits down also. After doing it the other way I trashed my first molds and did them over. I found I had a lot less (none) trimming to do based upon the imperfections typically observed when pushing baits from the top. It wasn't a problem as long as I did a lot of sanding after the mold set but that got old rather quick. I haven't tried the heat resistant paint yet (have a couple cans), does it give the same slick surface like devcon. I would think that it would also not cover up as much detail as devcon.

Travis:

I'm a big fan of Devcon. I've tried the paint and I probably will stick with Devcon.

A TU member (kidlizard) here gave me some tips when I made my first molds and I have been able to make flawless molds ever since. Here are his recommendations:

Ok dude here is there short version and should get you going....

Start will double sided tape (scotch works well)

Put the baits flat side down in a cookie sheet.

Give the lures and all exposed surfaces a LIGHT coat of vaseline.

Mix about 10 cups plaster to 5 cups water and mix the hell out of it and work fast.

Pour it over the baits SLOWLY and then jiggle the pan and bounce it a little bit to get the air bubbles to the top.

Wait about an hour and gently remove the plaster and any lures that stick to it.

Now you can fix any imperfections or make modifications to the plaster with small wood working tools. (also good for new creations)

Cut the molds into workable sizes. I use a fine tooth saw, and be carefull not to apply too much pressure or you will crack the molds.

Now bake the molds for about 3 or 4 hours on 250 to remove all moisture from the plaster. (very important)

Use a small brush and remove any loose dust from the molds (an air compressor would work great also)

Now get some devcon 2-ton epoxy (wal-mart) Get the 30 minute working time and not the 5 minute that stuff sets up quick!

Mix a small amount according to the package instructions and add a drop of food coloring so you can see what you have coated. Regular rubbing alchohol can be used to thin the epox a bit and increase working time.

Now look at them carefully. You will notice some missed spots and those must be fixed. Give it another coat of epoxy with a different color paying special attention to those areas.

Let the epoxy cure for at least 24 hours and your ready to pour!!

Good luck, any problems let me know.

You can cut down time by using the 5 minute Devcon but you have to work fast to coat your mold.

Hope this helps and as always, I appreciate all the tips in wealth of info from TU members. We all need to get together sometime and fish, talk baits and stretch the truth about previous catches :lol: !!!

Jim