LaPala

Jointed Crank - Sneak Preview

Here's the SS Wire jointed minnow ala LC Sasara that I'm talking about in near completion. Head pose is included as requested in the Docks :). Still some minor details to attend to but I thought I'd better post it first since I've mentioned it in other posts too many times :oops: :D

large.jpg

A bigger version is here:http://www.pbase.com/sebarau/image/36767398/original.jpg [Edited link, I was careless]

Comments & critics highly welcomed, be as critical & harsh as you can be. Questions will be answered, I'm willing to share all the making process & hopefully you can help me simplyfy it. As it is, it is made from 10 individual pieces foiled, painted & finished b4 it is assembled. The joints have differently cut V angles to restrict the movement so it wouldn't swim in a "broken-back" manner and be as close as possible to the movement range for the different parts in a real fish (I wanted this lure to be as "real" as possible). One interesting thing to note is that the "springiness' of SS wire really helps to imitate a "back-bone" in a fish and this is the secret to it's near lifeness swimming action (LC sure has hit on something great here). The hook setup is the same as my "Overkill", minus the tail & top hook. The next one will include more details & a bucktailed tail hook; but I'm resting for a while, my eyes still hurts from doing this one. :)

Sorry to sound egoistic but: "Praises are good, but it doesn't help me improve" :oops:

This is a prototype so it'll definately go through future chages. With the pool of experts here I'm sure you guys can help me perfect it.

Here's the SS Wire jointed minnow ala LC Sasara that I'm talking about in near completion. Head pose is included as requested in the Docks :). Still some minor details to attend to but I thought I'd better post it first since I've mentioned it in other posts too many times :oops: :D

large.jpg

A bigger version is here:http://www.pbase.com/sebarau/image/36767398/original.jpg [Edited link' date= I was careless]

Comments & critics highly welcomed, be as critical & harsh as you can be. Questions will be answered, I'm willing to share all the making process & hopefully you can help me simplyfy it. As it is, it is made from 10 individual pieces foiled, painted & finished b4 it is assembled. The joints have differently cut V angles to restrict the movement so it wouldn't swim in a "broken-back" manner and be as close as possible to the movement range for the different parts in a real fish (I wanted this lure to be as "real" as possible). One interesting thing to note is that the "springiness' of SS wire really helps to imitate a "back-bone" in a fish and this is the secret to it's near lifeness swimming action (LC sure has hit on something great here). The hook setup is the same as my "Overkill", minus the tail & top hook. The next one will include more details & a bucktailed tail hook; but I'm resting for a while, my eyes still hurts from doing this one. :)

Sorry to sound egoistic but: "Praises are good, but it doesn't help me improve" :oops:

This is a prototype so it'll definately go through future chages. With the pool of experts here I'm sure you guys can help me perfect it.

To say it's nice is quite an understatement. :D How long does it take to make that? :huh: How can youdare cast that out, knowing you might lose it if have it busted up?? 8O I'm more a meat and potatoes kinda guy, plus I don't have the skills to pull something like that off! B)

Thanx for the head shot. Atleast one person rean my post. :rolleyes:

I like the bait Lapala, it's very well done. A mold for each piece or one mold that holds several sections may prove the most timely and consistent for assembly. What if instead of securing each piece along the wire you slipped a stainless steel or copper sleeve between them? The sleeve could be cut from thin tubing.

You know this concept is really not that new of a thing. Some of you may have seen the rubber snakes and fish made overseas in which a piece of leather is sandwiched between the two sections of rubber and then cuts are made down to but not through the leather every inch or so. You end up with the exact same concept only it's done with leather instead of stainless...this have been around for decades. China and India have also made many different versions of brass fish that are mostly ornamental but accomplish the same action.

Jed

For some reason the software wouldn't let me edit my above post so will post again. Another thing to think about Lapala if you are going to make a good number of these is the potential for water damage. As you know water quickly destroys a bait. A single section is hard enough to protect and when you start dealing with multiple pieces that are moving like this bait has I think water damage is inevitable. For this reason if you are going to make a good number of these think about some type of foam or plastic so that in the event water does get in there won't be an expansion and unraveling of the entire project.

Concerning the ss sleeves...I'm thinking the wire could be secured at the head of the bait, a sleeve slipped on, then another section, another sleeve, etc. You could keep the bait sections sitting in the position you want them to by using a ss wire that is flat instead of round, this wouild prevent them from spinning on the wire...other options might include sleeve sections that include a small tail that fits into each section of the bait and prevents them from twisting. Once all the parts are in place you would simply push everything forward to insure it's tight and then secure it in place with a final cable clamp of some type. Just how tight things need to be would take some experimentation.

I think the assembly of the bait will be bad enough but the painting and finish will be torture!

Very nice bait...put her on the wall...........the bait I mean. :D

jed

Thanks for the encouragement guys & special mention to Riverman for pointing out the concern for durability.

Quick answers:

My computer file tells me I first started drawing the template on the 13th of Oct, I think I spend the rest of Oct tinkering with the cut angle & basically trying to figure out where & how every should go. Actual cutting of the wood was 2 weeks ago, working on & off & sometimes none at all (I still wanna fish :) ) I completed it 2 days ago.

Fot the consistancy of the paint job, it is actually doublesided taped togather & done in one go :D The insides of the joints need some touch up.

As for asssembly (see Jointed-plan pic), pieces 1-6 are one piece drilled thru & wire threded then Devcon in place. To Riverman, yes I use stailess sleeve to anchor the points & the points where the wire emerges is flared to hold more devcon, however I'm looking for alternatives as I suspect the ability of Devcon adhering to such smooth surfaces. Piece 8 is grooved along the inside centre line. with another anchor point in the head, wire is then push into the groove to be Devcon in place. Piece 7 is two piece & last to go on so I can crimp the wires togather exactly to the tightness I need, the two pieces are then glue & clamped togather. It leaves some gap on top without paint & after touched up the Devcon is reapplyed (to that part only). It was a fiddly & time consuming bait to make. A bigger one should be much easier.

Oh the lure is actually 9.5cm. Here's a finished photo with the hard ware. Two single hooks are held in position facing upward with a mangnet situated where the red belly button is.

large.jpg

PS: Actually I was tempted to paint a forked tongue on the lip when I was doing the inside of the mouth :) Maybe the next one; then I'll christian it Nessy :wink:

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

jointed_plan.jpg

1106_thumb.attach

Everytime I get on this forum I see a bait that is truly amazing. Excellent work. Seeing how you made those scales gave me some ideas for my own lures awesome. That piece you made looks a lot like the tools made at hardware stores for putting glue down for tile or flooring. I will have to look at them again next time in hardware store they are made out of plastic. Just a thought though. Again nice work.

Another passionate, obsessive, genius derailed by lure-making...it IS a beautiful world sometimes... :lol:

I like those single hooks for hand-to-hand combat with big fish in nasty places...we don't need no stinking drag...you must show us how it looks in the water...or you could just send us all one and we could see for ourselves :lol: ...not to mention the R & D we could all do!

My wife just said that it would make a pretty piece of jewelry. I think it would make a great fishing lure!

Congratulations on this major achievement!!

Dean

LaPala

You asked us to judge your bait and so far all you have is compliments. I will try and help you a tad bit. As I get older my eyes can't focus very well, so if you would kindly ship that bait to me I will be more than happy to give you my opinion. :D:lol:

Really nice looking bait, but the well thought out plans are awesome. Thanks for sharing the info.

Tally

Well :) you guys are full of praises. I'm working on the next version now, mainly production issues & maybe cut down the pieces where it's not really nessacary, after all I'm trying to catch fish with it & not hang it on a wall :D.

Dean: I wonder where your wife plans to hang the lure? :) BTW, just ask, no reverse R&D needed, what ever you want to know I'll reveal.

About the scale thingy, plastic or pattern cut from lexan or acylic doesn't really work (I tried that first), a tad too soft to leave well defined patern. & make sure the edges are not rounded, it has to be L shaped, especially at the points. One more tip, hold the thingy at around 20 degreee angle so the deepest impression left is at the points then your scale will have the "sculpted 3D" look. Work on foil only so far; if you guys find a way to make it work in plain paint job let me know.

I'll see if I can find a place to host a video of the bait in action, then you guys can see how it moves in the water.

I've been trying to think of an appropriate response to this lure Anthony. I guess WOW sums it up. Those scales are masterpieces, works of art. and the overall design of the lure is beyond professional. A couple of months ago some one posted a question about patenting designs, I think you should think about it. I can imagine someone from a certain bait company, rhymes with "crapala" or another that rhymes with "herkley" rubbing their hands together in avarice and poring over your design.

Now the real question, when are you selling them?

DeVery

That is a truely wonderful looking bait. Only praises come to mind, but in effort to find SOMETHING to critize I think you hit on something.

Well :) I'm working on the next version now' date=' mainly production issues & maybe cut down the pieces where it's not really nessacary, after all I'm trying to catch fish with it & not hang it on a wall :D.

[/quote']

Are 8 pieces really neccessary? How many sections could be removed with a major compromise in action? I am not one who believes in compromise with a hand made bait, but if you make it too complicated I an afraid you will need to price them too high or get burned out assembling large production runs.

Lapala,

Your lure is unreal! I think you can quit your day job! :lol:

I have a question about the Jelutong wood you use. How does it rate in bouyancy compared to cedar and balsa ? Thanks!

Oh, and on another lighter note, I'd be afraid to fish with that lure because it might the fish. :lol: Just kidding. Excellent is an understatement.

--IslandBass