GB GONE

What are the benefits of hand poured plastics to you?

Where do I start?????

Colors, texture, scent, styles..........it's unending. Pretty much anything you want can be done with a hand-pour. They are truly "custom" baits. A customer asks you to put silver glitter in just the tail of a bait. You can do it. Someone wants a combo garlic/shad/salt mix in green pumpkin, or maybe they want a reproduction of a favorite bait. It can be done!

Try asking the fellas from Zoom or Berkley to do that for you....... :rolleyes:

And a darn good topic too I might add........ :wink:

I will be the devils advocate on this one. I pour only because I enjoy it and it fills the winter months with a fishing related activity and after doing some research (buying) decided I could break even and do it cheaper after a year of fishing. I have not observed a difference in the quality or quantity of fish I catch on hand pours versus mass production plastics. I fish them interchangeably. I purchased a lot of different hand pours from many individuals to truly see what was out there and was very impressed by some of the baits but just as many were inferior products in my book (bubbles, air voids, fingerprint impressions, seperation between layers, etc..) Just like mass production baits you come across some crap. The last Ika's I bought looked like swiss cheese.

As others mentioned just make what the client wants. Thankfully anglers are some of the most superstitious group of individuals on the planet. I think we would give the little old bingo ladies a run for their money. If you can make that guy that "special" 3 inch craw in cajun gumbo color with molases scent then you are going to make that sell.

Satisfaction and variety.

It doesn't matter if I sell baits or give em away. For someone to tell me that they caught a fish (doesn't even have to be a big one) on one of my handpours when nothing else was working, that is the best feeling :!:

I think it's so rewarding because I know how much time I put into pouring. If I don't like the way the colors came out, or some other mistake that maybe only I would know is there, I start over. I only send out my best pours, because that's what they are paying for.

Then there's the variety. Having the advantage of throwing something nobody else is. You could have 200 guys in a tournie, 75 throwing soft plastics, and only 10 throwing something different then the next guy. The rest of them may all be throwing about the same color. Being able to offer an angler a color he has confidence in is great. But when nobody else has that color, watch out :twisted:

Ok...here's my take.

Bottom line: We all pour to catch more fish or help someone else catch more fish!!!!

All the other factors such as colors, glitter, more/less salt etc. hopefully end up at more fish!!

I don't think Chris (Al's worms) pours his weapon worms thinking about just making a buck or Jake (woodsac) designed his rocker just to have something to do with his time :) !!! They have the passion to catch more fish.

Look at BigZ and his molds or Javier (BASS8BAITS) and his infamous 4 color pours...plus new guys like Charlie (njfishrguy) and his sticks. I've received baits from swaps from guys (like Mojo and BigZ) that you just couldn't put a price tag on!!

All because we want to catch more fish or we want the guy/gal we send our baits to to succeed!!!

Check out some of the hard bait paint jobs and designs sometime from LaPala, cullin8s, B&B (I could go on for days with the awesome stuff all the hard bait, jig and spinner bait guys do!!!).

The passion to catch more fish is "injected" into our baits, one by one. I really don't think you can get that from a bait at your local sporting goods store!! (IMHO :) )

Jim

I started pouring my own baits because I had an idea for a bait that no one else was making. I started out just to make them for me, but soon got many requests to sell them when I posted some of my baits on the net. Now the success that I and others all over the counrty have been having on my baits I know it's only going to get better from here. It's unique bait that glides forward as it falls with a huge wobble. I had my best year of fishing ever on this bait. It works so well in almost any condition that I decided to guarantee them to catch fish, and that's what it is all about catching fish.