goldenarrow

devcon ?

I made my first mold over the weekend, but I couldn't find Devcon 2-ton anywhere. So I bought another epoxy and coated it with that. It's been 48 hours and some of the thicker areas are still tacky on the surface. Does it make a difference which epoxy I use? I'm going to hunt down Devcon for my next mold but I wonder if I've already ruined this one?

So i havent got around to coating the mold yet but i thought i would give it a try with some remelted plastics that I got from work. Can you guys tell me what I am doing wrong they turned out supper spungey and limp. they also smell horable did I cook it too long or not long enough? could they be too old? they seem to still be good.

I don't think you did anything wrong re-melting plastic; but some of the injection companys use cheap plastic to increase their profits. As for the smell; some companys put additives in the plastic and these will smell. The bubbles are probably from the moisture content in the used baits.

well I got rid of the bubbles by stoping every 15 seconds and mixing. I must have been overheating the middle but not the sides. the smell is still there. there must be some kind of aditive in the old worms that cant be reheated. I will try some liquid plastic i am happy with the shape of the mold but it is hard not to overpoar the grub tail.

I find that's the hardest thing to do... pouring thin sections like tails. Everyone says it's just practice, practice, practice... I'm better now than when I started but still a long way from good. Just keep at it!

Some people prefer to pour from the tail to the head, and others from the head to the tail. I've done it both ways, depending upon the mold. Pour some each way and you may find you prefer one approach over the other.

Good luck!