bigbasser

Salt problems

When making senko type baits I'm having a problem with the salt and glitter sinking to the bottom of the glass no matter how much I stir. Is there any way to pour relatively hot without having the salt sink to the bottom? I am usually using about a cup of plastic, a half cup of Delw's salt in a 2 cup pyrex glass. Thanks

I had the same problem when I started a couple of months ago.

First, flour the salt using a blender or coffee grinder so that it's the consistency of flour. (I buy non-iodized salt for about 35 cents for a pound and a half at the supermarket; salt is salt.) By flouring it, it stays suspended in the plastic much longer, though it will eventually settle out.

Second, I would use a smaller cup and plastic amount. I started doing exactly what you're doing, but found it much easier to keep mixed and control by using a one cup Pyrex container with a half cup of plastic in it.

I use a metal cooking skewer to stir the plastic EXCEPT when I use salt and/or glitter. Then I use a spoon and stir from the top to the bottom, making sure I scrape the bottom and sides of the container. You have to stir between sticks, otherwise it does start to settle out. I generally pour two sticks (I use a 4-cavity mold for 5" stickbaits), then stir, and pour the last two.

By the way, check if you really need the salt at half the plastic amount. I've used half (2 ounces of salt to 4 ounces of plastic) and lesser amounts (1 1/2 ounces of salt to 4 ounces of plastic) and it seems to me the 1 1/2 ounces is much easier to pour. Try a few that way and then drop them next to a Senko in a bucket of water and see if they fall at the same rate. If they do, use the lesser amount of salt.

Regarding heat, I have a tendency to pour a little too cool. The plastic should be the consistency of thin syrup when you pour, not water.

Good luck!