badfish03

Couple questions about soft plastic mold making

Hey guys been making several molds while I am waiting for my initial supplies from Del-Mart and I've got a few questions.

1. When making a single sided mold how do you usually secure your soft plastic originals to your mold before pouring Durham's?

I used Shoe Goo and it worked too well on one type of bait and not well enough on the other. One bait fused to the plastic container I was pouring into the other had a couple come loose during the pour.

2. Do you add more water to your Durham's mix to make it thinner when pouring the mold?

I did this on accident added 1/3rd more water then called for. I needed more to fill the mold so I made the second batch a bit thicker. Came back about 4 hours later and demolded the top was still slightly damp. I took 100 grit sand paper and polished the top with it, came out like glass. It also made a wonderful thick paste that I was able to touch up some imperfections.

3. Baking the Durham's mold will I get satisfactory drying putting it a few inches below a heat lamp for about 24 hours?

TIA

Robert

1. I just use a glue stick and put some on the bait and the surface. I have not had a problem with bait movement or demolding. I don't put a lot of pressure on the bait once I pour in the durhams, it basically just need to keep it from floating.

2. I never pay attention to the recommend mix, I mix it all by feel. I try to get it as thick as I can but still thin enough for air bubbles to escape easily. Generally a think pancake batter.

3. I always bake mine but usually only for about 4 hours @ 200, then coat with devcon thinned with a little actetate.

Hey Robert,

I super glue my masters down to a piece of flat plexaglass that way it does not stick to the container and it gives you a truely flat mold surface. just place that in your container and pour. It does ruin the master though so don't plan on saving it.

I mix my Durhams up so it is like a thin pancake batter. You can not fallow the directions on the can because they do not intend it to be used for molding purposses.

After demolding and cutting any nessisary pour holes (2 piece mold) I bake in the oven for about 8 hour at a low heat not more then 175 deg. Then seal the mold cavitys only with devcon thinned with acetone.

Hope this helps.

FNF

I have been using a very thin coat of vasiline, but spray pam type stuff works ok too. I've even heard the liquid dish soap works good but I've never tried it.

When making 2 piece mold never put any sealer of any kind on the part of the molds that fit together, only in the mold cavity and the pouring holes. If you coat the contacting surfaces it keeps the mold from sealing good and you get flashing that has to be cut off and is a real pain in the (_,_) :-)