bigbasser

burners and re melting plastic

Do any of you guys use burners to keep your plastic hot? If so what a re good ones to use?

I noticed that when reheating my plastic a handful of times the colors dull out. Is it the recooking process that dulls the colors and if so would a burner with constant heat lessen the effects of reheating?

Thanks

I use a double electric burner from Walmart I think it's called a buffet range. be careful with it when turning the heat up, while you have your pot on it, because it will over run big time and burn your plastic . You will notice when you turn it on it will get way hotter than the set temp, as it ramps up and then it will level out in a few minutes. This is typical of most heating elements. I cook my plastic in the microwave first then transfer to an aluminum pot. I had more trouble with stainless steel pots, burning the plastic than aluminum pots. Has anyone else had the same problem?

How long can you leave roughly 4 oz of plastic heated in a pan before it will burn or discolor. I have Calhouns and feel rushed every time I get it to pouring temp. I am not using any heat stabilizer and am melting on a single electric plate from Walmart. I don't begin to melt until after the initial heat up of the plate. It seems like plastic will burn onto the bottom of the pan if I don't stir it continually. I have the heat set just under medium. I'm just trying to get an idea of how much time I have to pour without wasting plastic by trial and error. Thanks.