Fish_N_Fool

tungsten powder in soft plastics

In my never ending quest to find a better additive for my sinking baits then salt I have tried many things. The latest was some tungsten powder that a friend gave me. Believe it or not, it mixed very well in the plastic and made a bait that was heavy, but not stiff at all like salt does. It did make the bait opaque and muddy looking. That was the only down side though as it had all the softness and toughness that regular plastic does so the bait does not tear up like the salt ones do. Over all it was very encouraging. :idea: Any one else ever experiment with different additives? I'm still looking for a additive that will make a sinking transparent bait.

The flakes are clear polyester (same as the glitter) and resembles sugar. When it heats, it folds and maybe melts but it gives the plastic the same appearance as that which contains salt crystals versus floured salt.

What I found interesting is the way it closely simulates the spongy feel of Yamamote plastics - a worm slowly return to it's original shape when pinched and is not rubbery like regular plastic worms.

Test Senkos or GY's grubs to see what I mean. (Of course 30% salt probably accounts for the same characteristic, but salt for the handpourer is a real pain to use.)

Even if no one is interested in crystals as a sub for salt, I probably will get the 11 lb. min. to use and keep on hand after I test it one more time in a Production Pot - the ultimate clogger. Weighted flukes, grubs and sticks with light jigs/ hooks are some of my best lures.

I found the patent, #6,145,239. It specifically states

"1. A soft-bait fishing lure for holding a hook inserted therein, the lure comprising:

an elastic synthetic resin body; and

glass particles approximately 50-1500 .mu.m in diameter incorporated into said elastic synthetic resin body in a proportion to said elastic synthetic resin body selected such that the fishing lure has a specific gravity of approximately 1.2-1.6 g/cm.sup.3."

And

"7. A soft-bait fishing lure for holding a hook inserted therein, the lure comprising:

a elastic synthetic resin body; and

metallic particles approximately 50-1500 .mu.m in diameter incorporated into said elastic synthetic resin body in a proportion to said elastic synthetic resin body selected such that the fishing lure has a specific gravity of approximately 1.2-1.6 g/cm.sup.3."

So, wouldn't we all be safe using crystal flakes? It goes on to mention the "negative" effects salt has on the plastic as well as the hook when in the water...

Better check out Shimano's patent 6,145,23 if you're thinking of doing anything commercial in this area. It covers metal, glass and just about anything else you can think of adding to plastic.

Why would Shimano issue such a patent? They've never manufactured lures to my knowledge.

It there is a patent threat, it's a good thing adding an acrylic polymer is in reality, a plastic, so all we're doing is adding plastic to plastic.

Good point about leaving a hook in - guarenteed to rust it, which is also the problem of lead molded in a plastic body (swimbaits). Unless the lead is primer-coated with something to keep it from direct contact with plastic, it turns a light fuzzy gray from oxidation. I saw baits for sale at a recent bass seminar that exhibited lead corrosion in plastic lures that were weighted with tiny lead balls. Not something I'd buy!

Thanks for the info.

Anyone who sold salt impregnated plastics last year were in violation of Gene Larew's original patent. He went after Yamamoto and won a large settlement. Kind of doubt anyone is going after small time handpourers doing less than a million a year. :wink:

Larew's patent ran out this year.

Hmmmmmm,I wonder if that is why Yamamoto has gone to crappy packaging...to recupe some of that settlement maybe :?:

Sammy