Lurehead03

A ? for the foam gods of TU

thinking about making some foamys and have a few ?s 1.how well are the bondo molds holding up 2.can you treat the foam bodies like balsa after they cure (as in installing lips,line ties,weights etc.) or do you have to do molded in lip and through wire 3.how much different is weighting the baits as compared to balsa 4.and last will a rtv rubber mold made with Shore 60 strength rubber work for the foam I hate to be so long winded but need to know before buying my materials

Bondo, is ok for starting, but I would use Urethane rubber from Smooth On. PMC 790, very hard but still flexes. Bondo is very hard to demold

and your mold may have voids in it. Bondo also shrinks, and you mold may come out with 2 different sizes to the bait halves.

I guess you could do the same things to it that you do to balsa, but it

is totally unnecessary. You can mold all of the hardware into the bait.

I like to mold my lip slot in rather than the mold the lip in. I can't

stand paint on my lip anywhere and if you mold it in, it will get

paint on it. Devcon 2 Ton or 5 min epoxy will hold the lip in without

any problems.

The foam takes about 1/2 as much weight as balsa. A good piece of

hard balsa will weigh around 11 lb/cu ft. The foam I use weighs

16 lb/cu ft.

In my opinion the silicone is too soft for a mold. I tried it and didn't

like it. Also, the silicone is picky about which material it is compatible

with.

I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Coley

what about durum's water putty would it work to make a mold out of

NG. Bondo is a good inexpensive and easy way to get your feet wet. It's cheap readily available and can yield some good results. BUT

Like Coley said, the Urethane rubber is a much better product which is more costly and requires a bit more expertise

It's easier molding in your harware, IMO. Why mess with aligning all the components every time when you can do it once, when you make the mold. Everything will be right, everytime.

I haven't used ureathane rubber yet for molds but I guess I will have to break down and go ahead and make some with it. I have had no problem using the bondo. The lures turn out great. The mold does a little while curing but for the molds I have done it hasn't been a problem. As soon as I went to using straight vasoline as a release agent I have no problems demolding from bondo.

which one of these urethanes

75-80 RTV Liquid Urethane Mold Rubber

Mixed 2 Parts A to 1 Part B

Working Time: 45 Minutes

Hardness, Shore A: 80

75-60 RTV Liquid Urethane

Mold Rubber

Mixed 1 Part A to 1 Part B

Working Time: 15 Minutes

Hardness, Shore A: 60

74-30 RTV Liquid Urethane

Mold Rubber

Working Time: 30 Minutes

Hardeness, Shore A: 30

which one of these urethanes

75-80 RTV Liquid Urethane Mold Rubber

Mixed 2 Parts A to 1 Part B

Working Time: 45 Minutes

Hardness' date=' Shore A: 80[/b']

75-60 RTV Liquid Urethane

Mold Rubber

Working Time: 15 Minutes

Hardness, Shore A: 60

74-30 RTV Liquid Urethane

Mold Rubber

Working Time: 30 Minutes

Hardeness, Shore A: 30

Go to Smooth-on.com for the Rubber. Use the one Coley said with the universal release agent.

I have obviously missed something while I have been away. I have noticed pictures of "foamy" baits that I thought looked awesome.....But, to be quite frank, I have no clue what the heck they are :lol::D ....I have looked through the past posts and have figured out a little about them, but there isn't too much information......So, at your own leisure, if you could please answer some questions for me , I would be forever in your debt :wink::wink::wink::D:D

1. Is there an advantage of foamies over balsa?

2. What supplies are needed to make foamies and where can I get them.

3. What exactly are these molds I am hearing about?

4. Can you make foamies in a bait style different than a crank, such as a topwater?

5. Lastly, i fsomeone could just give me a general description of how to make these things, it would be great.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I believe that foamies could really help my lure making......Thank you very much and I am anxious to begin on this type of bait.

Thanks again,

Brian

I have obviously missed something while I have been away. I have noticed pictures of "foamy" baits that I thought looked awesome.....But' date=' to be quite frank, I have no clue what the heck they are :lol::D ....I have looked through the past posts and have figured out a little about them, but there isn't too much information......So, at your own leisure, if you could please answer some questions for me , I would be forever in your debt :wink::wink::wink::D:D

1. Is there an advantage of foamies over balsa?

2. What supplies are needed to make foamies and where can I get them.

3. What exactly are these molds I am hearing about?

4. Can you make foamies in a bait style different than a crank, such as a topwater?

5. Lastly, i fsomeone could just give me a general description of how to make these things, it would be great.

I know this is a lot to ask, but I believe that foamies could really help my lure making......Thank you very much and I am anxious to begin on this type of bait.

Thanks again,

Brian[/quote']

Here's a Tutorial about Entry level Foamy making. Alot of your questions will be answered there.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/index.php?page=10&mode=article&k=30