luckymusky

wire for thru wire baits...

I assume you're looking for stainless steel. Most of it's available in coil. I don't loke coil since I don't know how to straighten it so I buy cut pieces. Stamina, Barlow's, and Jann's Netcraft all carry coil .011 - .051, and Jann's Netcraft and Stamina carry 6- 12" pieces in .051 thk. with and without loops If you can't find it there , McMaster Carr has straight pieces from 12" to 24 " in .020 to .063 in soft and hard temper. www.mcmaster.com or 630-834-9427. hope this helps

Luckmusky,

Go to your local welding supply. Ask for TIG rod in 308 Stainless. I have .035", .045" and .062" available in my area. These are 36" long rods of the most perfect lure making wire you can buy anywhere. It will bend without problems and form good twisted eyes. I use this rod for wire and wood baits. Best thing I have found

The price is usually by the pound. Phone around to find a supplier that will sell you less than 10lb at a time. The cost per bait ends up being peanuts compared to the end use.

Then do not fool around. Go out and buy a Hagens big black nasty wire bender for about $120.00 and never look back. Think about getting the optional large wire diameter bending parts that go with the Hagens bender. These are advertised as being able to bend .051" wire. I use mine on .062", after a slight bit of fitting. It really works great.

Trust me. I have been through it all.

Lock 45

.6mm to .8mm mig wire bought by the roll is a good way to buy.

I get about 2000 spinners per roll, I find it also very good for saltwater as it is strong and takes a beating.

It does need to be straightened, but this is done easily by dragging it between two clamped together pieces of board, with a small grove cut in the one of the pieces. (do note that the wider the board the closer to straight it will be.)