davycrockett

Tying Marabou Tails

New guy here. Again, awsome website! The more I read the more my head spins! :rolleyes: I searched the TU forums and couldn't find my answer. I have been tying bucktails (rookie) since winter. Like anything else I improve with practice. However, when I experimented with a marabou tail the results were iffy. The tails I did tie look O.K. in the water(decent flair) but sitting there dry they just don't have the body like a Mepps or Funky Chicken. They look more cone shaped like a bucktail instead of a ball. I am using marabou from Netcraft. Would the strung marabou help or is there a secret to tying marabou to get that round flared look? Any suggestions appreciated.

My guess is the quality of the maribou you used..If you've tied many bucktails,you know some of the tails are great to tye with,and others are just good for the trash can.Maribou is the same way. I'd try purchasing maribou from a fly shop or online supplier.

If your looking for a strong substitute for maribou with similiar action,try Icelandic sheep wool.It's about 8" long.Cut off the amount you want,run a comb through it to remove the under fur,and reverse tye it.What I mean by reverse tying is point and tye in the fibers facing out over the hook eye instead of the bend of the hook.When you have the fibers tied in,pull them back towards the hook bend,and cut them too the length you want.It now looks like a out of control umbrella..don't sweat it,when the fur gets wet,and the lure is worked through the water,the fibers will pull back over the hook bend,but when you slow the retrieve down or stop it,the tail really flares out..Nathan