SubLure

Do-It Molds and different hook sizes

This question may have been answered already, if so please direct me to the appropriate link as I couldn't find anything.

I wondered if anyone knew which Do-It Molds would take larger hooks than Do-It advertises and if you can replace the Eagle Claw hooks in most of the molds with Gamakatsu? I know they make one or two molds specifically for G hooks I just wondered if anyone uses different hooks with their other molds.

There are alot of posts regarding hook sizes. I have spoken with Do-It and as a general rule they tell me that you can go up one hook size on most molds. Ofcourse you can modify any mold but that is another story and I have not done that myself. Pop

for the most aprt you can use any hook style as long as he bend is the same. on my mold that takes 570's ive used 570, 630, the vmc i use now, some mustade ones and some gammies. As for bigger hooks you can usually use bigger but when you get into heavy wire its more tricky and often you must modify. On my football heads i have no problem using 4/0 in any cavities but then again i had modified the eye slot some. Its very easy to do.

Just about every Do-it mold I have has been modified to take a bigger hook. Spinnerbaits, Buzzbaits, Arkies, Bullet, Footballs Dart Head you name it. I think they way-undersize the hook capacity. I prefer 4/0-5/0 in all my jigs and 1/0-3/0 in my dart heads and 4/0 in my spinnerbaits and Buzzers.

You need to be carefull when modifing you molds. If too much is removed you will get alot of flash or runoff around the hook shank and hook eye. I just use small drill bits, files and a dremel to work on mine. Make sure the flat faces of your molds stay smooth also so thy close tightly together.

Good Luck

Mr B

I used to use the Eagle Claw #630 in the Do It Style TC Tube Jig Mold. The EC #630 3/0 hook worked well in the 3/8 oz. cavity.....it was a tight fit but woked well.

The last batch of EC #630 3/0 hooks had larger eyes causing the mold not to shut very well. This caused a lot of "flash" on the parting line of the jig head.

My solution was to hold the face of the mold in front of a fan letting it cool for a few seconds before putting the hook in and pouring. This reduced the amount of flash i was getting to almost zero percent.