TRChad

Problem cutting off sprues cleanly from Do It molds

I have been pouring for just a short period of time, but I am really having a problem with cutting the excess lead away from the newly poured jig or spinnerbait...I am using the minnow spinnerbait mold and the flat eye round ball jig mold from Do-It...I am using good gate cutters, but I always come away with a rough looking cut or either a flat spot on the bait...Please Help!!! Thanks!! Chad

David is right on. Forget the gate shears and hold the bait firmly with one hand while using pliers, grasp the sprue and gently work it back and forth til it breaks off. This will still leave a spot to clean up, but no where near as bad as the shears leave. Give it a try.

George Reeves

H & P Tackle

Welch, OK

On some you can make two cuts per sprue. First cut should be inline with the flatest surface of the jighead. Then follow it up with a second cut to remove the small remaining part of the sprue. This will also give the impression it wasnt merely twisted off.

Also when using soft lead dont hold the hook by the shank while twisting the sprues off or else you will have a ton of "wallowed out" jigheads with loose hooks in them.