Turtleman

jig making

If you decide to use some other heat source than an electric lead pot(best option IMO), make sure you do the melting outside/ventilated garage.

I prefer the Do-It molds. I have 10 of them right now, some of them I have had for 15 years and they work as good as the day I got them. And yes they get alot of use. Almost all of my molds have had some sort of modification done to them. Mostly to take a larger size hook.

Hope this answered some of your questions

Mr B

Turtleman

There are several manufactures of molds ? well there use to be several manufacturers. Now you are pretty much limited to Do-it and now Hilts is back, but these are probably the best bet anyway. You can still get Herter's, Palmer, HI, Ament, Lil Mac, Okie Bug, FL Sweet& Son, Carnahan, Penn, etc. on eBay. Some of these molds are more trouble than they are worth (don't seat right, or too much flash, and very limited to styles).

You can always have a mold machined but that might be cost prohibitive. Also, you might try making your own mold.

You don't need to buy the pot but it makes a lot easier using a bottom feed opposed to using a ladle (except for spinner baits).

Be careful - lead burns (any burns) are not fun............