rrb32

Attaching Spinnerbait Blades

After you make your loop put the swivel on then squeeze the loop with a pair of pliers over bending it until the end of the wire goes past the shaft to one side. Then with your pliers carefully bring it back and twist at the same time until the end of the wire lines up with the shaft. This will close the gap.

After you make your loop put the swivel on then squeeze the loop with a pair of pliers over bending it until the end of the wire goes past the shaft to one side. Then with your pliers carefully bring it back and twist at the same time until the end of the wire lines up with the shaft. This will close the gap.

Losing blades off the bend is very frustrating. When I decided to start making my own I wanted a way that would never happen. If you have a wire bender that "twists" the wire, you can close that end completely. This might be a little over board for some but I have never lost a blade and I am probably just as qucik now putting the closed loop. Just a thought......to each his own

Tally

Tally

I thought I was the only person anal enough to attatch spinner blades with a barrell wrap!!! I make mine with two sets of pliers- after several hundred baits, it takes me no time at all to preform- and, I haven't lost a blade since I started doing it.

rrb32

Make sure that your split rings are made from spring steel and they won't lose their shape. I use size 2.5 spring steel ones from Barlow's and have no complaints!

First for attaching the Blade to the split ring swivel:

1-Try to use a size 2-1/2 to size 3 lite wire ring from worth.

2-If possible invest in a pair of split ring pliers from Texas Tackle

http://www.texastackle.com/pliers.htm

3-Lay the blade on its back(meaning cup part laying on it's back)

using the texas tackle pliers thread the split ring on the Blade.

Laying the blade flat down helps keep the blade and the ring close to the same angle

4-http://www.staminainc.com/wireforms/roundnose_pliers.html

invest in a pair of these pliers as well.They help you bend a perfect close loop that will not come open.

(i also put a twist in some wires but mostly if the wire is very lite gauge)

If you will lay the blade flat and thread the ring on this way you will soon be able to hold the blade in your hand and turn it on the same plane as the ring.

I cant stress enough how nice those Texas Tackle pliers are!

Hope this will help you!Blades

I use another technique for attaching the swivel/blade to a bait. I slightly overbend the loop with pound-nose plies till the tag end extends beyond the blade arm a bit. Slide the swivel on the loop and spring, don't bend the arm down and over a little letting the natural elasticity of the wire hold it shut tight against the arm. The loop tag starts on one side and ends up on on the other. I very rarely loose a blade unless a fish really shakes his head as I am lifting him up.

Jerk

Amen on the Texas Tackle split ring pliers. I have two pair and could not live without them! Channel Lock makes the best round bend pliers I have used. They have nice padded handles and are real comfortable to use. A little trick I do is to put the split ring on the blade first then attach it to the swivel. It seems to go on easier without binding up the swivel. With the price of good swivels. it pays to buy them with without split rings and add them yourself.

I use the same method as Dan T. After bending the loop and putting on the swivel/splitring i bend the wire past the blade arm. Then when you bend the tag end back toward the main arm it will have a good amount of pressure against the main arm.

Hope this makes sense.

Mr B