DEdwards

How to weight a poured jig head>?

here's two ways

# 1

use a diet scale and weigh a couple of them. Divide the total weight by the number of pieces to get the average the weight of each.

build a balance bar and compare them against a known weight.

to build a balance bar take a small straight piece of wood of metal.attach a string in the exact middle of it. Hold it by the string to make sure the bar hangs level, adjust the string position if necessary. place your jig head at one end and the known weight at the other end the exact distance from the center point as your jig head is. Keep adding known amounts of weight until your bar hangs level. add up the weight your jig head will weigh the same.

I prefer method #1 it's a lot easier.

You could also take two jigs of known weight, one slightly heavier than what you are looking for and one slightly lighter, or one exactly the same weight. Place each jig in a small cup of water by itself and mark the level the water rises to. You can then place your jig in and compare how much water it displaces compared to the jigs of known weight.

when looking at jigheads I notices that some heads when put on a 1/32 oz thill float ran the float to low so I got out the scale and weighed the lot. An example: all weights in grains.

1/32=13.67 grains 1/16=27.34 grains and 3/32=41.01 grains

Bluefox 1/32 heads were pretty accurate at 14 grains

custon heads ran 14.5 at the lowest and normally in the 15.5 range which is why they did not work well on a float. now this is a very sensitive float.

Custom 1/16 oz heads ran 30.5 to 32

and custom 3/32 oz ran 41.3 to 43.5

If you want some weighed you can send them to me with a 1$ for return shipping. go_rob_go@yahoo.com