Baldy

Bleeding marabou feathers

Hi guys -

I am making some marabou bucktails and i am experiencing some bleeding in the marabou.

I have thouroughly rinsed the tails and I am still seeing the bleeding.

It is not a huge deal on most, but i am making some contrasting colors (black/white, red/white, black/yellow) and I dont want the colors to mix together killing the look of the baits.

I have run them through the washing machine multiple times, rinsed them over and over with hot water...I am at a loss. I can get them to the point where all the excess die seems to be rinsed off, but the dark colors are still bleeding onto to the light when mixed...

Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to get rid of all the excess die and make sure these things are colorfast?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Luke

I agree. I have dyed some bucktail/hackle feathers for jigs and it was recommended that you bring the material to a slow simmer with the dye and then add a capful of vinegar to set the color. I have had no bleeding.

Rick

Try rinsing them in Vinegar. This usually works for fabric dyes so I'm thinking it should work with your maribous. I haven't tried it on maribou though.