borderbasser

fiber guard question

I'm still new to this but I finally got some molds made and am knocking out some good looking jigs. The question reguarding the fiber guards is, to glue, or not to glue. I tried to pour a jig with the guard in the mold, but that was a disaster. The guard just shriveld up. I am wondering if the lead was not too hot as I don't have a good way to regulate the temp. As far as glueing is concerned, it has worked fine except for one problem. After I powderpaint, I have to ream the holes with a 5/32 drill bit before I can put the guard in which almost always cracks and chips the paint around the hole. This is happening before I cure. I am dipping my jigs in a home made fluid bed. I am sure it is not as good as some out there, but it is sure WAY better than dipping in the regular can. Anyway, if I can find some material to shield my guards during the heating and curing fase, I think I would just rather pour the jigs with the fiber in the mold. Any suggestions on either method would be appreciated!

TJ

boderbasser, check the next subject line on the main page, then look at the 4th post. It has been suggested to me to use Teflon tubing to shield the weed guards.It sounds like it will work great! I just ordered some from the link(small parts.com), it should be here Monday or Tuesday. I hope I ordered the right size. I will let you know when I get it.

Jignpig, I understand the part about shielding the guards and what all that intails. My main question is what do I do to keep the guard from melting during the initial pouring process. The one I tried did not work at all. I was melting on a propane fish cooker and the lead had already been melted for several minutes before I took it off the heat to pour. Do you think it was too hot? If so, what is the max. temperature I should pour at? Thanks for the reply.

TJ

What size of lead head are you pouring?

What size ae the fibers in your weed guard and how many?

Max temp of lead should be when it starts to pour good in your mold.

That should be somewhere areound 780 to 850 depending on the lead alloy.

I am assuming your mold is aluminum.

Are you getting the mold too hot?

Thanks for the replies fellas. The jig is an 1 1/2 oz. grass jig. So far,all I have are bondo molds, but I hope to have an aluminum made. The fiber guards are 5/32 and have the smaller fibers... .018 I think. I have an IR thermometer that I can use to better keep an eye on my lead with next time and see if that helps. Maybe I'll get luck and my wife will let me buy a pot. Yeah right! :( Thanks for the help guys.

TJ

like that is your issue

1.5 oz of molten lead is gonna melt that weedguard in a hurry.... :(

not to be nosy, but why such a lite guard in such a big head?

if you are gonna get serious about pouring lead........get yourself a good pot........for jigs that big........invest in a Lee 4-20

just show your wife on paper how quickly you will get "return on investment"..........she will relent 8O

regards

JM

www.daimonlures.com

Hey JM, are you saying that I'm SOL on being able to pour the jig with the guard in the mold? I sure was hoping that was not the case. If so, I think I can just make my hole slightly larger, and I won't have to ream it after painting and risk chipping the paint. Does anyone know if the epoxy will adhere to the powder paint just as well as to the raw led? Oh, and by the way JM, I like the softer guard even on the larger head, 'cause I feel like I get a better hook set. Also, you normaly don't have much time to get the hook set on such a heavy jig before the fish spits it. I think that a stiffer guard only compounds that problem. Thanks for the reply.

TJ

not sure if you are SOL or not........LOL

I normally dont pour jigs that big with fiber.......so I cannot speak from experience.......I do pour some in the 1 oz range without fiber.....and that is alot of hot lead........that is all I am saying.

fair enough.......I hope that you can figure it out.......when you do, post your results here, so that we can all learn.

regards

JM

I spincast jigs as large as 1oz. without the guards in them. I use a PTFE Teflon ROD (not tubing) in the mold where the weedguard goes. It doesn't melt and leaves a clean socket for the weedguard to be glued in.

I will use the same Teflon Rod when powder painting the jig, just heat the jig, stick in the rod, dip and swish, remove the rod and againt the socket for the weedguard is clean as whistle so the guard can be glued in.

I use a .150 rod (same diameter as the weedguard) which can be found at McMaster-Carr, www.mcmaster.com and do a search for Ptfe Teflon Rod.

Hope it helps, it works for me!

George Reeves

H&P Tackle

Welch, OK

Well, I finally poured one with the weed guard in the mold and it worked! Turns out that my hot plate will get hot enough to melt at least a pound of lead and not get it so hot as to burn the guard. Now, just out of curiosity since I have mastered this, what method do most powder paint gurus recomend...glueing, or in the mold. Let me put it this way. I'm using powder. What method do yall recomend and why? Thanks for all the help and reply fellas!

TJ