basser_jim

Running powder paint

Jim' date='

I am a newbie, but I think you are getting the paint on too thick. Try using a fluid bed if you are not already. Also, I think if you heat your baits too much you will also have problems with too much paint. Do a search and you'll probably find the info you need. Hope this helps.

TJ[/quote']

may be a stupid question, but what exactly is a fluid bed and what is its purpose??

Jim,

A fluid bed allows powder paint to be suspended in air to approximately twice its normal volume inside the powder cup. By "fluidizing" the powder, quality and control of the paint application are greatly improved over trying to dip into stagnant powder. In other words, the powder paint will look and feel like water at a slight boil making it easier to dip heated jigs and spinner blades into the paint and to allow a thinner, more even coat of paint. This will save time and money by using less paint per jig. Also with a thinner coat, there is less chance of drips forming during the final curing process. Jig eyes remain open and clear of paint. Once you use a fluid bed to powder paint your jig or spinner blades, you will never go back to the old way of dipping the jigs in a jar. You can check out www.tjstackle.com under the powder paint section for tips and tricks to painting jigs using a fluid bed. If you are interested in a fluid bed, I do make these and have them for sale on eBay at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7224389957&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

If you have any other questions on a fluid bed or its operations, please let me know. I would be glad to help.

Thanks,

Benjamin

How are you curing it? I assume you are using a tostar oven. If thats the case then your problem may be the temperature being too high. I cure mine at 350deg for 20min. and it's perfect but I have a digitally controled oven which automatically controls the tem to +/- 1degF so i haven't had a problem. The fluid bed the other guys were talking about is worth looking into as it will give you excellent painting result with better finishes but won't help you with your curing problems. You can also try curing to the instuctions of doing it with fiber weed guards which requires lower temperatures for a longer period of time. I hope this helps.

I've found that (for me) only the fluorescent yellow drips, and drips badly--even at reduced temps like 270. Maybe it's from a bad batch or something. I just don't cure them and they seem to hold up fine.

Gotta look into that fluid bed thingy.