Blue Streak

Anyone making a Chatterbait look alike?

Yes, I'm making a bait I designed about 5 years ago but unfortunately I felt that it would never catch on with the public. It is similar to the Chatterbait but the blade will not spin, thus it eliminates any line twist. I've used them for years with success. I guess it just goes to show how a little exposure can really help a bait along.

In that past several weeks, my sales have sky rocketed.

I'm making some, but just for my own personal use right now. The only reason I'm doing that is because they all jumped off the shelves at one place that carried them in my town after that guy's classic finish. I suspect the hubbub will wear down eventually.

These are effective lures, but the prices being paid for something that is not very hard to construct are astounding. I can make one of these baits in 10 percent of the time that I spend making a wooden crankbait. Heck, if I had a press to stamp out the foil I could make a bait in 5 minutes.

The only reason that I came over here from the hard bait forum was to see if there was any talk about the Chatterbait. It is living up to its name. It is creating a chatter.

i have making a bait very close to a chatter bait. i have been selling them faster than i can make them. got a couple of the flw pros fishin with mine and one of the guys has bought 4 dozen and just called last week wanting two dozen more. they really do work well around here especially on guntersville. made a few modifications to my mold and and thats about it. cuttin the blades by hand at the moment but just hooked up with a guy at a die shop and hes gonna cut me some blades. should make it alot faster for me to get em done

its not in the hook eye the hook in the bait is a spinnerbait hook and you use a pc of 41 wire that sticks out of the head then you use round nose pliers to make the loop and attach the blade dont loop the wire b4 you paint it its a bitch to clean paint off after you have looped it

He better have a billion, because that's about what it will take.

or maybe Ledford will sue him, since he's been making these baits for longer than Radchad.

This is just another one of the deals where all anyone has to do is create some modifications to the basic design and they would never lose. Now, obviously someone can hire a lawyer and intimidate people. Some poor shmuck making lures out of his garage wouldn't have a chance. But just wait 'til one of the big boys goes and pays Ledford or someone else $50,000 for the rights to the name of their bait (and that's what they'll pay for, naming rights), then sells it and dares Radchad to sue. They'll be able to claim - "my bait was first."

In two years time, there will be five or six "chatterbaits" on the market.

Tell me what you guys think. What would be wrong with using any given jig mold of your choice with a 60 degree hook. Prior to molding, take a tapered punch and onpening the eye just enough to fit the blade into and use a pair of pliers,vise, etc. to close it back after inserting the blade. I think you can accomplish this with a tempered hook... might break a forged hook though. Anyway, the only difference I can see is that your blade might be slightly closer to the hook point but I can't see that as being a problem. Just seems like a lot of trouble to me having to fabricate and incorporate an extra part. JMHO. What do yall think..will this work?

Earthworm, I don't understand what you mean about the blade slipping up the line. I was just talking about permanently attatching the blade to the line tie (hook eye of the jig) and then attaching a snap lock swivel near the center of the blade as a line tie. This would almost be identical to the Rad Lures Chatterbait. My question was if it was possible to open the eye of the jig hook with a tapered punch to be able to attach the blade and then closing it up in a vise or with a pair of pliers. My other question was if anyone could see any down sides to this method. I had heard that Rad Lures was not attaching the blade to the hook eye, but rather molding a spinnerbait hook and some other component in the head of the jig to serve as the eye to attach the blade. That just seems like a lot of trouble. By the way, I did try opening the eye on a 60 degree 5/0 mustad with a punch and then closing it up again and it worked. It was a little tough getting the eye closed up as tightly as it was originally with a pair of pliers, but I think it is close enough the blade will not slip out. Thanks for the replies.

TJ

Earthworm, I don't understand what you mean about the blade slipping up the line. I was just talking about permanently attatching the blade to the line tie (hook eye of the jig) and then attaching a snap lock swivel near the center of the blade as a line tie. This would almost be identical to the Rad Lures Chatterbait. My question was if it was possible to open the eye of the jig hook with a tapered punch to be able to attach the blade and then closing it up in a vise or with a pair of pliers. My other question was if anyone could see any down sides to this method. I had heard that Rad Lures was not attaching the blade to the hook eye, but rather molding a spinnerbait hook and some other component in the head of the jig to serve as the eye to attach the blade. That just seems like a lot of trouble. By the way, I did try opening the eye on a 60 degree 5/0 mustad with a punch and then closing it up again and it worked. It was a little tough getting the eye closed up as tightly as it was originally with a pair of pliers, but I think it is close enough the blade will not slip out. Thanks for the replies.

TJ

Borderbasser,

I once had an occasion that I needed to open the eye of the hook just a bit and this is the method that I used, may be a bit easier than the punch method.

Take a pair of sidecutter dykes and pinch the cutting edges where the eye of the hook ends. This spreads the eye open as you close the cutters, if you need it open more just lever the dykes till it is open the amount you need.

Hope that was some help.

George Reeves

H&P Tackle

Welch, OK

Hi Guys, I have the same questions as PaBasser, along with how do you get the blade on the hook. If someone could give me the different sizes of blades, that go on the different sizes of jigs, I would be willing to make a drawing, and post it on this site. I would like to make some of these for myself to try out, but don't know where to start :(:( . Getting material and getting them cut , and or bent is not a problem. Is there anyone out there willing to help out with some of this information. Thanks Ted