OHfishing

First Time melter here

Hello, First time poster here as well as first time melter. I recently purchased a new lee production pot and my first mold. A do-1t 1/32 oz roundhead jig mold. I am planning on purchasing 5 more molds real soon here. I got myself some soft lead and started playing by melting the lead down into small ingots (from the mold pre--warm cavity) After I got all my lead melted down I thought I would play with the mold and get a little practice. I DID NOT have any jig hooks in the mold. I just wanted to see the shape of the jig so I poured some lead into it. What I found was no matter how fast I let go of the bottom pour handle I still put to much lead into the mold making the jig head have a mushroom shaped hat. For some reason I cant get the "round" shape without the huge misshaped mushroom hat. I know it was my first try and I have alot to learn. I was hoping one of you lead vet's could school me with some pointers. I am a TOTAL beginner and it seems to me there is just 2 much lead coming out. And I have no control ... I was wishing when you poured lead into the mold you would get a perfect round head. lead18wg.jpg

You want the lead to run in a steady stream. Also, you have to try to get it in the hole without touching the stream to the sides. Be careful with no hooks as the lead might run right through the mold.

Keep at it and you'll find what works for you best. Good luck. B)

I feel a little better now ....and I already learned something here.. I was browsing these forums and I found this thread http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5532 Thats what my jigs look like so I guess its common. Now I just have to figure out how to remove the "Mushroom Head" Shrue? as good as the gentleman who made that thread does.

here is a tutorial on pouring lead........

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/kb.php?mode=article&k=27

all of the lead you pour will and should have the mushroom unless you are extremely good at pouring the exact amount of lead. too much and you get mushroom...too littla and your head has a void. Better to have too much than not enough.

Now go to this link and get you a pair of gate shears. I have both of these but the small blue handled ones do a better job of cutting off mushroom and I never have to file. here is the link

http://www.staminainc.com/melting_pots/gate_shears.html

Tally

Well my hooks arrived, so I heated up some lead, inserted the hooks, and made about 50 jigs, I did what you said with pliers and WOW....I did it. So far I just used 1 mold, I hope the other molds I ordered are as good as this 1/32 oz one ! I have 1/100 1/80 and I wondered if they will be harder being so tiny? anyway thanks guys for the help i definatly got some practice today ! .... now im going to try both vinyl and powder paint ...woo hoo !! :Dlead23my.jpg