• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Markell

Markell

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 08:37 PM

I have decided to dive a little deeper and mold my own baits. I am looking for a buzzbait mold and was wondering if you could use a spinnerbait mold for a buzzbait? The reason I want to do this is because I like the angle that the Spinnerbait molds have. The Do-IT buzzbait molds seem to be strait. Any thoughts? Thanks!

#2 Gr8flyz

Gr8flyz

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 09:04 PM

Nothing says you can't, you'll have to modify the mold to accept the wire form, or bend the wire, unless you're using straight wire & forming after you mold the heads.

I've thought about trying it, but haven't yet. Let us know how they turn out!

#3 Celticav

Celticav

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 10:15 PM

Here is one from a Do-it spinnerbait mold, works fine. JIM

Attached Files

#4 Big Splash

Big Splash

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 11:28 PM

Sould mention, if you want to use .051 wire you may have to widen the groove to fit the larger size.

#5 dtrs5kprs

dtrs5kprs

TU Supporter

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 30 August 2003 - 11:44 PM

I use the Do-It minnow head (H style I believe) spinnerbait mold for spinnerbaits & buzzbaits. Works fine. I do bump up from 0.032 to 0.035 wire for buzzbaits. Not sure why most forms and commercially available baits are made on 0.040-0.051 wire?

You can also just run a length of bulk wire in the mold, then bend to your own specs. If you get a good price on coiled wire it is actually much cheaper (although it is slower).

#6 Celticav

Celticav

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 10:36 PM

I like to use thinner wire, gives the bait a "shake" that heavy wire will not, JIM