psilvers

trimming the sprue

After I pour my lead heads I trim the sprue with a gate cutter. However, this leaves a sharp edge or an edge that is unsightly. I have tried heating the head with a torch to melt the jig a bit and that seems to help. I don't want to grind the lead because of safety issues. Anyone out there have any good ideas?

Thanks,

Pete

It seems you might have a problem with your mold, or you are using the wrong type hooks in the mold. If your mold is not tight when molding you need to find out why it is not tight. If the hook is the corect hook for your mold, it may be loose from wear. Then you will have to cut as you have, and then file down head after you cut it. You can use a resperator and gloves if you are nervous about the lead. You should have plenty of fresh air when molding lead anyway, or you can use a fan blowing away from you.

Hope this helps,

PaBasser

Don't cut your sprue. Twist it off with pliers, and it will be cleaner. Just work it back and fort a couple times, then turn. Most likely you will still need to smooth it a little bit, but not much. I use hobby files and/or Norton 3X 150 Fine Grit. It is not a sand paper, don't know what it is called, but I bought it at Home Depot in the paint department. One side is the fine grit and the other side is like a polishing side. Hope that helps. Pop

When you do twist the sprue off always check and make sure you are not holding the jig in a manner that the twisting causes the hook to be loosened inside the jig head. If you are not carefull you will end up holding the jig by the bend of the hook, for extra leverage, and the twisting will loosen the hook inside the jig head. If you are in a hurry you could end up with several hundred or thousand "loose" jig heads.