charkins

Need airbrushing on jigs and spinner help

I received a badger 175 airbrush and a load of createx paint for Christmas. I want to add some color to my powder painted jigs and spinnerbaits and blades. Will the createx stick to the powder paint? If so, should I put a sealer on top? If a sealer, should it be sprayed or dipped? What kind of sealer? I know you airbrush gurus can set me straight.

Thanks

Cal, here is the method I use, not sure if it is correct or the easiest, but it works for me. Once I have a spinnerbait powder coated I will airbrush on the accent colors with Createx. Be careful not to touch the painted Createx with anything cause you will remove it. I hang in the oven, setting on lowest which is 150 with door cracked open. Leave them for about an hour or until I remember to take them out. This is to heat set the Createx and remove all the moisture from it. I then heat with a heat gun and dip in powder clear with glitter if desired. Then I bake them at 340 for 10 minutes to cure all the powder paint. The clear powder seals the acrylic Createx and it comes out pretty sharp looking. For added gloss and sealer, I will often dip the bait in clear lacquer which gives it a higher gloss yet.

Again, this is just my crazy way of getting it done and I have been very pleased with the results. Good luck with any direction you choose to go.

George Reeves

H&P Tackle

Welch, OK

I don't paint very many blades but when I tried dipping them in the fluid bed, I would get paint collecting along the edges in heavier amounts and was unable to control this from happening. So I got the airbrush from CSI for shooting powder paint. This gave me a very even coat of paint on the blade thus eliminating my problem. If you want glitter on the blade then mix it in with the clear for a final coat. The airbrush also handles glitter through it with no problems. Thanks for the invite, it is open at this end as well.

George Reeves

H&P Tackle

Wlch, OK

I've heard that the sandblaster type guns work for this application, but I have never tried it. Luremaking.com (I think) sells that brush, they had a kit deal around Christmas, may or may not be around now, I dunno.

I would like to know what an eye dotting machine is, sounds like overkill!

I would like to know how much volume to powder brush actually uses, or if I bought a 2oz. jar, how long can I expect to use it if I don't have an elaborate recollection system? I've held some baits that have been powder airbrushed, these particular baits were kind of messy, with uneven parts in the finish, sounds like George has it down pat, though.

Hey Cadman, thanks for answering TR21X on that question. Was out in the shop slaving away. The airbrush cost either $30 or $35 don't remember. It is a cheapo Badger that has no needle, so NO a regular airbrush won't work. It requires very low pressure, only a couple of pounds to push the powder through the gun. They suggest taking a small box, which I did, to use as a "booth" and cutting a hole in the back to hook a shop vac hose into. This primitive little set-up actually works. Keeps you from being in a cloud of powder. It comes with like six jars and does work pretty well, at least for me it was worth the $$$ I put out for it.

For Sterling, a 2 0z. jar will last a long time, they recommend only filling the jar either 1/2 or 3/4 full to let it work properly. Just don't make the mistake I did. Forgot to lower the air pressure the first time I used it. Was pushing like 30# and what a mess, I'll let your imagination take over here.

Hope everyones questions are satisfied.

George Reeves

H&P Tackle

Welch, OK