earthworm77

How durable does a spinnerbait have to be?

We know about Senkos and there fragile nature. Guys still are willing to pay the big bucks for them though. $6 a bag for at least 10 guaranteed bass.

My question is....would anglers pay $5.00 or $6.00 for a spinnerbait that catches 25 or 30 bass but breaks down after that? It is less money than a bag of senkos and surely catches more fish over time. I'm really curious about this. I developed a short arm spinnerbait with 3D eyes, Gammie hook, Sampo Swivel, HydroSilk Skirt and Plated blades. It is gorgeous but the bait is a thinner than normal wire diameter to enhance the action. The trade off is that the blades throb so much they break the wire above the r-bend in time. I've caught about 30 fish on a single bait before it breaks down. Is this acceptable? I mean it catches a ton of fish, for that, it is worth it to me but I don't know if a consumer would feel the same way.

There are many models that use thinner than normal wire, Mann's Classic spinnerbait and most of SOB's line for instance use very thin wire for the size bait. 30 fish on a spinnerbait tends to leave "wounds"... baits do wear out; don't worry about it, keep making them the way you want and keep fishing them, JIM

earthworm77, I think if you look at the success of titanium wire spinnerbaits, you can see that two things happened. First they had great action & durability because of the titanium wire, and a hefty price tag but folks bought them. More luremakers starting making them too. At first most everyone thought they were indestructable.

Then folks found out hey still had a limited life, since many of them broke at the R-bend, and there's not as many companies making them now, but some are still being sold. I've had several people say to me they still use them & like them even though they might break. They buy them because they work.

As Celticav said, everything has limits, and lures will wear out. If you think what your charging is appropriate for the lure & it works then go with it. You're not going to sell them to everyone, but that goes for every lure made.

Sounds to me like what you have is a great lure!

I'm a big time user of Senkos and your right they are expensive but they work. I think the same goes for spinnerbaits. Although I have never had a SOB break or the classic for that matter I would use them if they produced. Give me 10 good fish and its worth it to me. IF it catches fish I wouldn't worry about it breaking after 30 fish. My beaf is a spinnerbait that is hard to or can't be tuned after you catch a fish. I have no problems with the SOB but the classics take a little work to tune back.

Thanks guys. I agree with what you said. I just like to make sure the baits tht I put my name on are quality that won't crap out. i do realize thought that spinnerbaits definately do wear and a bait that catches 10 to 20 fish has definately done its job. Bill from SOB gave me a bunch of baits a couple of years ago, I haven't had any problems with them. They are really sweet.

I have been working on this premise of, half retail here in australia, with most spinnerbaits selling here for around the 12.00 mark, mine are selling well. My spinnerbaits are made for murray cod here in austrlaia, and I rarely see mine last more than 5 or 6, but this is due to the size of this fish.

I have the same problem on my lighter spinnerbaits, but due to them catching fish and lower cost per spinnerbait that they sell anyway, and people are willing to repurchase if they are catching fish (after all most fishermen buy their fishing bait regularly) why not new fishing lures.

If you explain to your customers that the fishing lure should be replaced every so many fish, so as to have a lure that is performing, most people won't mind (especially if it catches fish).

by the way id love to get one of those off ya if ya have one spare, I'll send ya one of mine.

Craig, Sounds like you are on the right track. When bass don`t want to eat or chase, they just can`t resist the Vibrating Spinner Baits. You might try changing the angle wire comes out of head. Just put a little bend up on the wire. This will solve the problem with the wire breakage. You can really make some Quality Plastics. Those Baby Beavers we got are really Smallmouth killers. Keep up the good work, your friend. Dale

You are right .032 is the best wire size..035 super wire is also GOOD.

Jim, we can solve a lot of those problems you and other fishermen are going through. Trying to get just the right action, vibration, and balance. $5.99 will get you a quality Spinner bait made out of the Highest quality materials, 5/0 Gamy Hook, .032 Super Wire, Custom Skirts and molded out of our custom molds. I`am not saying this is the BEST OF ALL SPINNER BAITS, but at this price with 7 day GUARANTEE. Fish it hard for 7 days, if not completely satisfied. Return for full refund. (Less shipping)

Maddog I hate to bring this up but it seems every post is an advertisment for your baits. This is an information board. Please post more info and less advertisment.

I appreciate the help, If anyone out there needs any help making Spinner Baits? We are more than happy to share the secrets we have learned. We have been making Spinner Baits for more than 30 + years. I`am sorry if we have offended you good folks by trying to sell our tackle. We are very proud of the work we do, sometimes I just get carried away. I appreciate chatting with everyone. Dale

Dale I just changed that mold to a completely round or double sided bait. The head is like the Robo worm beaver bait and the appendages are a bit different. I think you guys might like it. Thanks for thew spinnerbait tips. I really do not mess around with making them anymore as this thread was posted in 2003. I was making a short arem bait witha really thin wire. THe vibration of the blade gave it a short life but I was catching plenty of fish on it.

I have known Craig from the get go and nothing he puts out is without alot of field testing and Quality...On that note i would say that for us Brown fish enthusiasts 30 fish on one Spinnerbait would be great..The thinner wire =better vibration= more fish period and Craig do you have a pic of these short arms and do have blue glimmer?? only color Blade i throw period!!

Todd