BigRedfish

Centrifugal Molds

I read that major manufacturers of jigs and spiinerbaits use centrifugal molds as it is a cheaper way to manufacture baits in large volumes. Is this true? If so, does anyone know the break even point where it makes sense to consider a centrifigula mold? ie 10,000, 100,000 baits, etc. Any idea what type of investment is required for one of these machines? Any names of manufacturers? Any light you could shed would be apprciated. Thanks. Greg

your looking at 10 to $15,000.00 maybe more to get a good set up and also a valcanizer, your best bet is to get ahold of a manufactor and have your molds you want custom made and they are yours then, most guys will pour to order what you need at a per peice price,(of course with a min. order) usually a one time set up fee for the mold but you do own the mold then, only thing is that mold can only be used in there spin caster so you would have to have them do your pouring but it is alot cheaper in the long run versing you purchasing everything for yourself, unless you are planning pouring millions of leadheads. Been involved in it for a number of years now and believe me it is a rough time getting started and everything running smoothly, lots of little tricks in pouring and cutting and preparing molds that you have to learn, mostly all by trial and error cause no one will help you out, everyone is affraid of competition.

Good Luck

Lilcraw is right on the cost to get started. You can get it all new for the price range he quoted. Knowing what I know now, I would only get the spincast machine and have someone make my molds. There is an art to everything and spincasting is no exception. I had the same problem as Lilcraw in as much as getting help to get started, just couldn't find anyone that cast. Once I did though, they were more than helpful, I just wasn't talking to the right people. I often wish there were a 'Forum' on this site that addresses spincasting, maybe some day, but there are several guys on here that do cast and are very helpful.

Unless you are intending to go into production (meaning thousands) it is not worth your money to invest in the equipment. If you are moving a lot of baits, don't quite have the time to hand pour the quantities you need, and don't have the money to put into the equipment, then have someone cast the baits for you. It is a wise investment IMHO, doing it that way.

If I can be of further help, don't be shy, give me a PM.

BigRedfish,

Most of the major bait companies have someone that does spin casting and painting for them. The volume that we can make in a short amount of time and the quality, is what makes our services attractive to customers.

If you are considering having custom molds made, I would say if this is the area that is slowing your production down, then go for it. Use the newly found time to move your products, make sales and contact customers.

As for buying equipment this is another can of worms. Sure you can probably run the machines, if you don't have time you can hire someone. Mastering and mold making can be difficult, this is a subject that I could spend hours talking about. It's not something that just anyone can jump right into. We have milling machines and lathes not to mention all the other tools used to make prototypes and masters for mold making. Then making of "the mold" this is also something that can be learned, but does require some time and knowledge to make good production molds.

As for cost it's not a matter of dollars and cents, it is more about how much time do you have to invest.

Bottom line is what are your needs, do you need product to run a successful lure company or do you need more Headaches?

Chuck Vanover

Tight Line Anglers Products

Ph. 440-277-1511

Fax 440-277-9152

Not to say that it hasn't been, but I have never heard of anyone using an aluminum mold in a spincast machine. It seems the cost to make an aluminum mold for this application would be very prohibitive. Plus the added weight of such a mold would no doubt shorten the life of the casting machine considerably.

I am not sure what you are referring to when you say you see a lot inconsistencies from silicone molds. Could you elaborate a bit on this for those interested?

most of the problems were mis-alignment, excessive pressure, and parting line leakage. one bait would be thinner than the next. maybe the guy i was watching didn't make his molds right or didn't have the machine setup right. he also got a crud(not lead) buildup on the molds that had to be scraped off. he was the top molder in our area so i figured he knew what he was doing.

Piddler, sounds like a combination of problems. Dirty lead, improper spin speed and clamp pressure along with mold shift will cause what you have described. To produce parts with those problems and continue to do so without stopping and fixing the problem is not very professional. Do you have only the one molder in your area?

Really though, spincasting is the way to go for large quantities of production and rubber molds do an excellent job and are very cheap compared to having an aluminum one machined. Visit some other casting operations and I am sure you will change your opinion.