Mattlures

Beat this!!!!

If I had one of the numbered baits I wouldnt fish it. I would carefully fish it in a pool and If I was impressed with they way it worked I would buy one of the production models and fish it hard. I believ these beatiful baits are ment to be fished and If I think they will produce a monster for me then I am throwing it. However $1000, That particular bait is not going to get fished. As far as swimbaits go Mickey is the guy to beat in hardbaits. He can charge what he wants and get it.

For all that complimented my baits

Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot coming from a bunch of good luremakers!

I saw that bait sell. I was glad to see it.

The reason a lot of people can't get their heads around the idea, is because they cannot get their heads around the idea that not every guy who goes fishing makes "normal" wages or salary.

Guys, there's a world out there that a lot of us never see. It is world in which the people can buy whatever they want, whenever they want it, and in any quantities.

Want proof? Just look at the changes that took place in the motorcycle world. It drove the cost up, but it also drove the features and style and quality up too. Who in their right mind would have ever dreamed of a $70,000 to $100,000 (or more) motorcycle? That's now commonplace, and yes, people buy them everyday.

That one cannot imagine a person being able to own whatever he or she wants, does not mean there is anything wrong with the people who can. Some of the people in that other world fish. Instead of essentially doubting their sanity, we should welcome them. Dean's post was dead nuts on the money.

I don't sell baits, but if I did, I would certainly at least try to cater to the market that can pay more than $5.99 for a custom bait, and do so without whining about it.

I've said this before on this board and I will say it again. Be very clear about this...we are witnessing a sort of history in the making. Things are changing fast. Think about it. Everyone knows the bars have been raised and what was once considered a pretty darn classy homebrew bait, doesn't even get a second look anymore. It is only logical that others would notice it too and be willing to pay MUCH higher prices for the caliber of work that we have become accustomed to seeing almost daily on these boards. Add to that the fact that some of these baits are clearly cutting edge as far as action, let alone the materials and time being invested in each one.

Smart people see that. Some of those smart people have copious amounts of wealth and they want to own a piece of what we, with great regularity, call "art." How many times have you comments like, "That bait is just too pretty to use for fishing."

That sale was part of a logical and natural course of events. Don't curse the buyer or question his sanity or values. Don't be jealous of the seller. Instead be grateful and know that people are starting to sit up and take notice...and reach for their wallets. Lol, how can that not be a good thing?

Well said again Mr. Fingers. I do not spend that much on lures, but I have some of the nicest toys a guy can have, and if I wanted a lure that cost a grand, well, I'd make it, but you get the idea :)

The bar's been raised long before swimbaits came into mass popularity, I am unable to produce such nice work, but it doesn't stop me from trying :)

It's good to see the positive reaction from everyone about this. The main thing to remember that he is not charging $1,000 for the lure. People are fighting over each others wallets to pay $1,000 for it. As far as I can tell he let's his quality, word of mouth and lures speak for themselves. I have seen some self promoting lure makers that just beat thier product into your head with non stop spamming of forums. He seems to let the word of mouth spread. I have been a long time admirer of his work. He has an incredibly unique style and design in his lures. I absolutely say good for him! You can tell by the following he has that his lures are quality and not only look good but produce as well. Bravo! :wink:

txwhitetail I am not sure of all the stores I have in that area but I do know that amistad marina carries my stuff and I think sportsmans warehouse has a store over there.

If you guys are selling your work cheap you need to stop. If I were to make cranks from scratch I would be charging a premium. Your time,labor and qualty is worth more than a few dollars. You should be getting paid. Get some baits in the hands of the pros. I have talked to most of them and as a group they are just regular guys who get paid to fish. They are very aproachable. Most will throw you a plug on a show or in a mag if the bait works out for them. Of course if they are sponsored by a crank co then they cant but even then thay can still help you out "off the record" I have looked though some of the work in the gallery and some of it is very impresive. There is a lot of so so stuff too that gets a lot of compliments. Most of that is just trying to encourage you. If you know your work is good, REAL GOOD then charge for it! dont sell your self short.