reefslinger

groove down the back

Jamie. Your construction does sound very interesting, but I did get lost. Any chance of some photo's.

For just a few lures, I would stick a couple of strips of electricians tape, to act as guides and cut the slot with a suitable dremel bit (barrel router bit and ball end bit).

Holey Maguiver Jamie :lol:! I would need a book of instructions and a fold out 2`x 2` color illustration board! :worship:. My drillpress does turn 90 degrees though, If I could controll the depth of the bit, I might be getting somewhere. Any possibility of a pic?

vodkaman - I picked up the glue and sawdust - I think I'll try it and see what happens, yah never know. My co-worker said to use as little glue as possible and the sawdust soaks a lot of it up, he made jigs like this for his work shop.

Lets see if I can get these pics up on the horizontal router. Please remember that it only took 30 minutes to make and dont grade me on craftsmanship but basic design. I just wanted to see if this idea would work and didnt want to put alot of time in making it. This table is very basic and I have already made a design for one with height adjustments.

Jamie - Thanks for the pics. I get it now :) (I'm very right brained and a picture means a bazzilion words to me :teef:)

Vodka - Man, were you right about the glue!:worship: Finally got around to making the jig - added sawdust to wood glue - 48 hrs later still wet. Of course after thinking about it, if large amounts of wood glue stay in a liquid form in its container, why would harden unless applied in thin amounts. Anyways, picked up some bondo today - that should work.

Jamie, looks very good, should work. Like you said, the next variation should have height adjustment. I'll try and think of a solution.

Reefslinger, I'm in the UK at the moment and next to my brother. He has made molds using the sawdust/PVA method. He applied the mixture in 5mm layers and built them up gradually. The result is an indestructable mold, but takes more time and effort.

Jamie, looks very good, should work. Like you said, the next variation should have height adjustment. I'll try and think of a solution.

Reefslinger, I'm in the UK at the moment and next to my brother. He has made molds using the sawdust/PVA method. He applied the mixture in 5mm layers and built them up gradually. The result is an indestructable mold, but takes more time and effort.

Vodkaman Ive already thought of a solution to make the height adjustable. I typed out the directions on how to do it but it confused me when I read it so I deleted it.In a nutshell to make the adjustment its like taking two pieces of plywood stack them together and drill a hole through both of them. then take one piece and make inch or two long grooves for bolts to slide up and down in. Stick the two pieces together run a bolt and wing nut through the holes and tighten. the bolts will slide up and down in the one board with the grooves to make hieght adjustments. Now use your imagination on how to use this idea on this tool.

If you havent made the bondo fixture yet, skip it. Return it to the store and get your money back. Go over to the walmart or any local craft store and pick up a bar of Sculpey III polymer clay. This stuff seems hard when you buy it but you need to work it with your hands for a few minutes and it gets soft. Push it into a square shaped dish or box. Push the lure into the clay so it takes the shape you it needs to cradle it. Pull the lure out and put the Sculpey into the oven for 20 minutes at 285 degrees. And ther is your fixture. The clay cost about $2 for a brick big enough to make fixtures for 2 or 3 common sized cranks. It isnt a ceramic or stone. It is a plastic so it wont crack the way regular clay does. It can also be worked like wood when it is cured. Have fun.................