RayburnGuy

need help painting fine lines and details

I'm having trouble spraying fine lines and details. As I understand it, to spray fine lines you have to spray a small amount of paint and have your airbrush close to your work. Within a 1/2 or even 1/4 of an inch. When I do this with the air pressure set at 35 to 40 psi it splatters paint and pushes it everywhere in a star pattern. I've tried reducing the air pressure to 20 or 25 psi, but when I do this the paint doesn't want to pick up through the syphon feed. Do I need to be using a gravity feed to make these details? If it makes a difference, I'm using a Paasche VL dual action airbrush. thanks, RayburnGuy

Low pressure (I go 10-12psi), thinner paint, closer (maybe take off the airbrush tip guard), a steady hand and good trigger control. To me, it's the hardest thing, especially when you need to do it the same for 2 sides of the bait. The solution I choose is using templates. Fast, no drama, and the results are identical on both sides. Plus you can use the template many more times to do other baits.

Low pressure (I go 10-12psi), thinner paint, closer (maybe take off the airbrush tip guard), a steady hand and good trigger control.

That pretty much says it all.......I personally don't use the lower pressures,but i've become accustom to painting at higher pressures then most folks....i'm also using solvent based paints which act alot different then the waterbased stuff does when it hits a hard surface....it wants to stay wet longer so its harder to stop the starburst style blowouts......but its doable...its all in trigger control.

And "Yes" using a gravity feed airbrush will allow you to run lower air pressure for details.....you can't really get Createx to flow thru a siphon feed brush on 10psi....at least thats been my experience.

Depending on the brand I think you can get a cap that snaps on the cup.....I know Iwata has them....I use them on both of my side bowl brushes,and my Omni 4000 has a nice cap that came with it....heck, i've seen guys make caps to fit the VL color cups....Got a buddy that works in a machine shop???:yay:

As I understand it, to spray fine lines you have to spray a small amount of paint and have your airbrush close to your work. Within a 1/2 or even 1/4 of an inch.

Yup......even closer.....I bend almost all the tips of my Micron needles by bumping into what i'm painting because I'm working that close to the surface, and since a Micron needle has a really thin needle .018mm the tips bend really easy....but to get the detail I want I must remove the protective cap and work ultra close to the surface.

Now your NOT gonna bend the tip of a VL needle by bumping into a lure, or even a metal bike part....lol...they are too big and tough....but the point is that to achieve freehand details, you DO need to work very close to the surface....Get yourself whats called a "paint picker" cap for your VL....this allows you to remove the protectice cap on a VL and replace it with one that leaves the tip and needle exposed....you'll find you can get much better detail then before and it makes it alot easier to "pick' clogged paint off the end of the needle with your fingers....if this isn't makin any sense i'll take a photo of mine and show you what I mean.

Ray..

tape is the best way to shoot straight fine lines.. some guys have that kind of control.. i can do it from time to time too.. but it's usually 2 out 10 look good.. 95 percent of the time if I'm putting a fine gold latter line across the bait.. I tape it off.. that way if your gun fails you didnt screw it up and you can keep going over it again and again.. I like Purple painter's tape over blue painters tape... it's not as tacky.

you want more cool effects with tape.. RIP IT!!! and use the edge of the tape rips to create some cool effects.. Spary the tape not the bait! or just right on the edge.. 90 percent of artwork is tecniques ..tricks.. bells and whistles... The real artist is the one that figured out the trick! It's kinda like magic.. once you know the trick you can preform it too! :yay:

Cool thought Dave... But I use a Straw to paint.. I think if I tried that trick I would hang myself.

Whenever I free hand a straight line.. I get a paper towel out and practice like a golfer does before he hits a ball. It does 2 things.. it helps me make sure my gun and paint is flowing good which creates 90 percent of the errors when your painting detail lines.. and it builds memory in my hand and brain to give me confidence before I shoot ... you kinda get in a groove once you get the hang of it..but taping it off is the catch all for no errors.

Most guys like to turn down the pressure on fine lines I think.... I tend to turn my pressure up! and move my hand SUPER FAST and never stop.. once you start your line you must commit to it. Just like golf... Dont stop your CLUB!!!!! Just GRIP AND RIP!!!

Of course it must be said that "Gripping & Ripping" has its downside too. If you miss, you can miss really big! Not to mention having to deal with bad marriages to ex-strippers, battles with alcohol, extreme body weight fluctuation, fines and suspensions, and cops showing up at your door in the middle of the night...so you may want to think twice before you make like John Daly and Grip it and Rip It! 8O

Wearing a disposable non-talc glove on your non gun-holding hand helps with close-up work also---I always use one when airbrushing.

Dean

Of course it must be said that "Gripping & Ripping" has its downside too. If you miss, you can miss really big! Not to mention having to deal with bad marriages to ex-strippers, battles with alcohol, extreme body weight fluctuation, fines and suspensions, and cops showing up at your door in the middle of the night...Dean

Ok, Ok, Ok.......so I resemble that. Thanks so much for reminding me Dino.

David

So sorry David, I forgot that the part about the bad marriages, strippers, cops beating down the doors in the middle of the night, years gone blank due to cheap sweet wine, fines and suspensions in various tournament sanctioning bodies for using home-built lures which would run sideways, backwards, and upside down, that you casted with home built rods with friction-free guides and an entire lure guidance system that weighed 0.2 ounce (that worked drunk or sober), and that week long trip to Presque Isle Bay, with TaterHog, who refused to change his pantyhose the entire time...I forgot that it all applied to you...sorry I dug up some of those memories, good buddy! :cry: I'll try to make it up to ya!

:yeah:

Dean