musky1

Hughes river glide baits?

Marc,

You know I have experimented some with where I place the lead on my gliders and all seem to work ok. Most often I put lead in near the throat of the bait and then somewhere near the tail before the bait gets too thin. It seems that so long as the bait sinks horizontally the bait will also work well.

jed

Popular. You can't be serious. The guy has ripped off so many people he can't show his face at most musky sportshows. Talk to any of the top musky shops and you'll get the same answer. Theres many other quality muskie baits being made that equal and exceed the quality of his baits at half the price.

This x-ray photo of a Hughes River Bait is courtesy of Musky1 (Jim) and I am posting it for him. Thanks Jim for providing this for us, really cool!!

Are those all weights? Also, why did they put screw eyes on the ends but not on the middle two hook hangers? Strange.

Siscoe, sounds like you are not the biggest fan of Hughes but I mentioned the baits being "popular" from how they go on Ebay. Hughes River generally go for....40, 50, bucks, it's amazing.

I have never seen one myself so I can't say....in fact have never seen a musky either altho my ex-wife did resemble one, lol.

RM

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

xrayofhughesriver.jpg

543_thumb.attach

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the pic, "that thing is gonna sink like a rock". Each piece of lead does not look very large but the bait must still be very heavy. Yes it would be interesting to see a pic of the bait too and also how it sinks in the water...kerplunk!

Jed

With that much lead I don't think that these baits would be made of maple as I was told and mentioned earlier. I would be more inclined to think that they would be made of cedar.

As for the popularity of the Hughes River I think that it as alot to do with their finish. They have awsome finishes and the top coat is just like glass. They probably catch more fisherman then muskies because they are so pretty. :lol: Supply and demand drove the prices up.

That being said I would never spend that kind of money for a bait. There are plenty of gliders out there that go for half the price and would be just as effective. Better yet build your own! :D

Marc

I agree with you Marc.....I would also guess that they are made of cedar. Speaking from experience I can tell you it takes a bunch of lead to make a cedar lure glide. I have made many of cedar and ended up creating a slot and pouring lead into it...otherwise the bottom of the bait might have ended up looking like the x-ray pic.

The HR Baits do have an amazing finish on them, I wonder what they use. I will say, however, that Devcon is very good as well and I have been very happy with it. The other day I took a lure and sank it underwater for a full 24 hours and it looks just the same as when it went under.........................................perfect.

Jed

I just made a few of the Hughes baits, still need to paint etc. I placed the original in a bucket of water. The bait seems to have a neutral to slow sink. The ones I made were through wire construction. Instead of using a 3/8" drill bit I used a 1/2" forstener bit. This eliminates drilling a bunch of holes.

Riverman,

Can I send you a picture of the original bait to post?