bluetickhound

Amazing Clear Cast

I don't mean to affend anyone by posting this but those looking for another top coat should look at http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/gloss.html I have been using this for a few hundred baits now and I will never go back to D2T or Dick Nite. It is made to cure with UV light. In other words stick them out in the sun or use UV lights. I can put 2 coats on and have them cured and ready to fish in less than an hour. It is rock hard and will never yellow. I bought 2 quarts ($21.50 per quart) to use and I have done 2 coats on 306 baits now and still have enough to do another 200+ baits, the second quart is still unopened. This stuff will not start to cure until it has UV light so you can coat as many baits as you want with no worries of it hardening. I brush it on my baits. If you put it outside it doesn't matter how cold it is or if their is direct sunlight because you have UV light even if it is cloudy. I use tanning bed lights to cure mine http://www.tanninglamps4less.com/uvcuring.html Again sorry if anyone felt I took over this post but I just wanted to throw another option out there.

I haven't noticed any brittle problems but it is definatley hard. I haven't painted any baits that have any flex or give. One of the nice things about this product is that you can stop its curing process at any point. In other words if you don't want a rock hard bait but you want a bit of flexibility don't cure it as long. I don't think it would have near the flexibility of D2T. They have many products though and I haven't began to try them all. I clean my brushes with acetone but if I get it on my hands or any where else I just use denatured alcohol.

Don't know, just researched by type.

That Solarez stuff sounds so good, I'm guessing it is different than the polyester resin we used to use for surfboards.

Maybe it is the modification for UV curing.

I'm no chemist, so I'm just guessing.

I'm hoping bass100 will be our onsite tester, and report back how it holds up over time.

That Solarez stuff sounds so good, I'm guessing it is different than the polyester resin we used to use for surfboards.

Maybe it is the modification for UV curing.

I'm no chemist, so I'm just guessing.

I'm hoping bass100 will be our onsite tester, and report back how it holds up over time.

I believe the Solarez is for surfboards, did you check out their site?

Sorry for the delay I don't look at the forums much anymore. As far as testing goes I have done a 48 hour soak and there was no problems. Yes I built my own light box and all the info for the lights and fixtures can be found with the link I provided earlier. If there is any questions about the lights, fixtures, or ballasts just give them a call and they will help you out. Yes solarez makes resins for surfboards, guitars, tying flies, as well as many many other things. Just check out their website it is under "uses". They even have videos of them using it on a few things and surfboards is one of them. I talked to solarez about wether it would thicken up in cold weather and they told me that any time I want it to be thinner just microwave it for 10 seconds at a time. I have done that and it works fine. The durability so far has been great. I live in PA and the thing we have the most of is rock so my cranks take a beating and I haven't had one chip yet. They will scratch up though. I have fished hundreds of baits with D2T and they don't hold up long with rocks and Dick Nites isn't even worth throwing in rocks. I am not trying to push this topcoat on anyone just giving another option. Everyone has their own favorite this one just happens to be mine until something better comes along. One more thing, Solarez sells a UV light bulb that will go into any lamp, don't buy them. At $28 dollars a bulb they don't last long at all. Tanning bed lights are cheaper and will last for over a 1000 hours but Solarez's bulbs didn't last 20 hours.

Just read through the Solarez website, They say it requires UVA to cure the resin, which can be found in any nail dryer used for salons. Might be a less expsenive route to take. I just ordered a cheap one and will give it a try when it arrives. Will post the results...

Thanks for the info. I have a bid on one on Ebay.

Gene

Not sure if you watched the video at their site Gene, but one of the vids show them curing it with a UV flashlight so the wattage can't be that much.

Ben

I did see the video and started to buy that $38 flashlight but changed my mind.

I usually have, what I would call, a "shortcut" to things. That "shortcut" usually winds up not working and costs me more money than it would have cost me to buy the right thing in the first place. So, now, after almost 60 years, I'm learning to ask first.

Gene