quickdraw

Red Cedar Vs Basswood

I've never tried red cedar but have used AYC.  I ordered a bundle from cedar-4-sale.com.  Don't know if it's the best price you'll find.  Try a search for "cedar balusters" and you'll find other sources.  It's really nice stuff to work with.  Very even grained and sands really smooth.  You wouldn't need rot resistant wood in Las Vegas!  That's probably why nobody has what you're looking for locally.

You'll notice if you do the search I suggested that Lowes and Home Depot come up.  It might be worth a try to see if you can order through one of them and have them ship to your local store for pick-up.  That could save you the shipping costs. 

Edited by wchilton

I got my order of red cedar in from an Ebay today. It was somewhat wet but will dry relatively fast in our desert atmosphere. I'll start turning it next week and will probably get something in the water within the next week or two. My poured resin baits of the same design pulled in a 9 & 14lb stripers last week which was nice. Trying to get a balance between durability and performance is the challenge. Hopefully the red cedar will get me closer to that end.

Edited by quickdraw

After turning a swimbait on the lathe and finishing the woodwork I think I'm going to put a first coat of Solarez directly on the sealed wood before starting to paint. It should bond well to the wood and give me a strong sealed base to work with. After that I'm thinking a light sanding and a wipe with Acetone to give the surface a good bond with the white primer.

easycreeklumber.com. is a great source of luremaking wood. They even cut yellow cedar spindles for the saltwater plug turning fans. They have the smaller cuts readily available, and shipping is very reasonable. Ive dealt with them many times and they are first class folk. Lots of "drop specials" to choose from.

I hate basswood......if I whittle a bait from wood, yellow cedar is the only choice. It can still "blow up", but if you seal it with low viscousity super glue before prime and paint, you can really hedge your bets.

Balsa for top, PVC for any other type.

M

Its been months since I dealt with them. I did see the site, but didn't notice the message. Sorry bout that.

http://www.cedar-4-sale.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=CS0102

Ebay is another source.

http://www.saltybugger.com/cedar%20balusters.htm

I have a couple more sources. All online suppliers.

Hope that helps.

Too bad about Easy Creek. They had THE best deals. I bought so much that its been a long time since Ive pulled up the site.

I already ordered from Ebay to get some 1 1/2" Cedar and am in the process of using that. I saw the Salty site awhile back and use them to order other items like big eyes. If I order cedar again I'll probably get some Yellow Alaskan Cedar from them. Right now I'm set with what I need. Thanks

Yep. Ive made plugs from WRC and I noticed one thing- that the rings (?) were much harder than the main. So the final sanding was a pain if I was going for something that I wanted to sell or give away. I didn't mind it for my stuff. Another reason I love AYC vs.WRC is the detail carving with dremels and handtools was butter. Better than PVC, in that regard.

And that great smell (AYC)!

My shapes are fairly simple. I only use a lathe, belt sander and band saw for most of my shaping and both Basswood and WRC are very easy to work with. The Basswood is a bit harder but finishes smoother with it's tighter grain. Once the WRC is sealed with Solarez though it can be sanded very smooth and makes a good base for paint.