Palmetto Balsa

epoxyunderground.com

Originally Posted by mark poulson viewpost.gif

What kind of clear coat is on that cane?

Finally, an answer to my first post on this thread.

Thanks, MTfishing.

Ooooh, I didn't see that one Mark.

This is the method I use for finishing my beatstix.

I start with good dry wood. Then I vacuum seal the wood in propionate. After all the acetone has evaporated off, I will continue to dip it in propionate another 5 to 10 times allowing it to dry after each dip. When I paint it, I will use lacquer or other compatible solvent based paints. Then I spray it with either a clear lacquer or airbrush it with 2-3 coats of propionate. The light clear spray over the paint will protect the paint job when I start the final clearcoat dips back into the propionate. The topcoat is completed with another 4-10 dips into the propionate. I let the first 2 topcoat dips dry good before I redip it to help keep the paints sharp.

This may seem like a lot of trouble but it is durable and no chance of separation between layers because each one is fused/etched to the prior layer as it is applied.

If you go back to page one you will see very little wear on my stick.

Just to let everyone know. No animals were harmed during the making of this thread.

Also, no epoxy was used in the making of my stick.

Dave- I have never been able to get a good 'glassy' finish dipping with prop. Do you use lacquer thinner and how thick - I have dipped them with the coating @ a thin sprayable thickness and finish up with waves all over. I would love to top coat with this stuff, it would make life a lot simpler, compared to D2T etc. Just realized I have hijacked the thread again, sorry about that. pete

Pete

Sorry for jumping in here. I have experimented with prop as a finish and came to the conclusion that it aint really hard enough for the baits I make eg. jerk baits for toothy fish. However a good finish can be attained but the prop has to be really thin almost the consistency of water and the baits dipped loads of times. I have covered the baits finished with prop with epoxy so cant post an example. When done succesfully the finish can be as good as any I have seen but it is real thin but if one has the patience it could be built up. Also its worth adding that it does not 'harden' straight away it does harden over a period of time although it does dry very quickly. I have problems with prop because of the type of paints I use which cannot withstand the solvents so I only use it as a sealer.

Just as a footnote and I have pm'd you with this, you can airbrush prop but it fogs badly.