BobP

The New Dick Nite Topcoat

Dick,

I wish we had a coating that would do what epoxy does but in a safer version.

The perfect clear coat:

1. Can be dipped or brushed

2. Non-toxic

3. Can be stored in any air tight container without loss of product

4. UV resistant, totally water resistant, and tough as epoxy

5. Water clear

Have you ever considered looking at many of the UV cure epoxies? Because they react to UV they don't have many of the toxic additives. They also dry hard as a rock almost instantly when expoxed to UV light. I have experimented with several of them with limited success but I know the right product is out there. The only downside I see being the need to purchase what might be an expensive light.

Jed

Hey Jed -

Yes, I have explored UV Cured coatings a little for my own manufacturing needs. It wouldn't be something that I could add to my line of paints, as the main ingredient, as you pointed out, is the curing lights (and conveyor system, if needed). And you are correct, for anything but a sizeable manufacturing process, they are cost prohibitive. I haven't stepped up yet and don't see it in the near future. I know one manufacturer who put in a UV Cure system last year and it was over $100k.

Only a few of the larger tackle manufacturers that I know of use UV cured coatings, and even they don't use them on 100% of their lines - not sure why.

I'll keep trying to find that perfect top-coat! Believe me, with almost half a million lures coming out of my shop each year, I would love that as much as the next guy!

Dick

Dick,

There are UV systems that are much cheaper than that. When I was looking I found several in the two thousand or under range and I suspect there are probably light systems in the hundreds that would work fine. They use UV epoxies on the bottom of surf boards and in some cases use only the UV from the sun to trigger the cure.

RM

Edited by RiverMan

Dick,

There are UV systems that are much cheaper than that. When I was looking I found several in the two thousand or under range and I suspect there are probably light systems in the hundreds that would work fine. They use UV epoxies on the bottom of surf boards and in some cases use only the UV from the sun to trigger the cure.

RM

I'll have to look again - it was 10 years ago that I was looking.

Thanks for the input!

Dick

I am thinking of making my own UV lamp unit. I have to make one anyway, for electronic circuit boards and another etching project. I have built two UV units in the past, one for erasing eproms (electronics) and one foretching, but both these units got lost over the years. The price of being a nomad.

I just need to research the exact type of lamp required for epoxy curing.

Dave

I have yet tried any DN products but want to.

When I started painting I couldn't get any DN so I never got to try it.

I started using KBS I am as of right now satisfied with it and it is readily available.

Price is my concern I'm sure I will find a DN that will work for me ( I now have 3 choices).

My KBS is. 32.95 a pint 48.95 a gallon

I admire your connection with your customers or should I say your fellow fisherman so if price is fair count me in for the new DN2

I thought the old DN1 was great stuff. It has a rock hard finish and easy to use. Storing it was impossible for me. I kept buying it and tried everything (AFTER SPEAKING TO DICK) to keep it form curing prematurely. I wasted much more product than I ever used. I gave up on it. I'd be interested in the new DN2 sample.

I thought the old DN1 was great stuff. It has a rock hard finish and easy to use. Storing it was impossible for me. I kept buying it and tried everything (AFTER SPEAKING TO DICK) to keep it form curing prematurely. I wasted much more product than I ever used. I gave up on it. I'd be interested in the new DN2 sample.

I've been dipping out of the same pint for almost a year. I use Bloxygen after each use and keep the clear in a small necked jar. No problems with storage at all.

I just got some dick nites about 10 days ago and it didn't seem to long to cure. I am not sure if this was the new stuff but it went on great brushing it on and stored very easily using bloxygen.

The new stuff I got is kinda brownish in the jar, the old stuff is water clear. Both dry quickly and very clear and hard.