Nathan

Solarez Uv Top Coat

I got some of the Solarez epoxy along with the UV-A lightbulb they sell and tried it indoors on one lure. After two hours the coating was still tacky just using the UV-A light. I finally got it to harden by using a high intensity light source I had for a microscope. The sunlight option wasn't available - we won't see the sun again until June here in the NW.

Gringo, contact Solarez and let them know about your bulb and they will replace it. They had no problem replacing one of mine. I mentioned before that their bulbs are not worth buying, at least not for cranks. They get to hot and wear out quickly. For those of you new to using UV bulbs, the hotter the bulb gets the more it wears out. When a UV bulb wears out it will still be as bright as the day you bought it but it is not putting out as much UV anymore. As time goes on you will notice it takes longer to cure your baits that means it is time to replace your bulbs.

That's why I went with the flashlight I found on Amazon. It has 51 LED bulbs in it and cures the Solarez quickly. I hope the UV LED's last as long as normal LED's do. In any case for $13.55 I figured it was cost efficient enough to give this stuff a try. Most of the time like today when I was doing some repair work I'll just take the swimbait out into the sun to cure and with the sun here in the desert SW it is very fast. On the 2 - 3 days a year that we don't have sun I'll just plan to be fishing.

Edited by quickdraw

Hey Mark - I got curious and did an internet search and found this one (based on price number) and wavelength falls into UV-A specrum. Cheap enough.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q70A0G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/178-9264675-2303966?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1N5MATPGVM6ZQZK1FCS4&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B001R9HBLE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Homcom-36W-Gel-UV-Nail-Lamp-Tube-Light-Curing-Dryer-Timer-Professional-White-/370680569377?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564e489e21

I purchased one similiar to this...they have a timer on them (2 minute I believe) or you can just toggle on off. I paid $20 bucks with shipping and it does the job fine.

There is approx 2.5 inches high and 8 inches deep clearance

I'm considering getting another one (the Salon Edge works great) and removing the reflective panels on the bottom and have a full 360 of light. I think this would help with larger lures too, but I'm thinking about incorporating these with my lure turner as well.

Sets up quick...probably one turn on mine and it would set up

I'm thinking more along the lines of having the lures turn for a few minutes then hit them with the lights (that are set up around the turner). Your very right though, Solarez sets up quick with the Nails lights. On the other hand, your lures look great without the turning.

Quickdraw,

Which flashlight did you buy?

Hey Mark - I got curious and did an internet search and found this one (based on price number) and wavelength falls into UV-A specrum. Cheap enough.

http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=B001R9HBLE

That's the flashlight I bought. I posted it 1 page back.

Edited by quickdraw

Heres something I came upon.

Ultraviolet A (UVA 315-400nm) is used for low energy UV polymerization reactions in the bonding and curing of various materials, and is also used in non-destructive fluorescent inspection methods. Photons in the UVA (315-400 nm) promote through cure, especially with thicker film layers.

Ultraviolet B (UVB 280-315nm) is used along with UVA for polymerization and since it is the most energetic region of natural sunlight, for accelerated light aging of materials Photons in the UVB (280 - 315 nm) contribute to bulk cure.

Ultraviolet C (UVC 100-280nm) is used for rapid surface cure of UV inks and lacquers, and is also used in the sterilization and germicidal processes and applications, the most energetic of the wavelengths used in UV curing. Photons in the UVC are important for surface cure and promote surface properties such as hardness, stain resistance, and abrasion resistance.

http://uvabcs.com/uvlight.php

Also checkout Ravenlures link for the safety issues. While UV spectrum is all around us I wondered if looking at the light or building a light box using tanning lights might be a problem if UV lights are used extensively. Tanning salons have eye protection as some exposures are more lengthy than suggested to cure baits. Its probably more hazardous to ones health with using other chemicals (solvents, gasoline,etc.) than UV lights but its probably worth thinking about how you plan to use UV lights and decide if your eyes need protection. I use to work in the chemical industry and safety was always promoted at my company. Your free to do as you wish.

• Like 1

Ravenlures and EdL,

Thanks for the clarification, and for the heads up.

I wound up with pterygium growths in both eyes from working and playing outside for too many years without UV protecting sun glasses. I had one removed, and it was so painful I have resisted doing the other eye for 20 years. Now, with lasers, I'm thinking about getting the other one done, but I'm not very enthusiastic about the prospect at this point.

I definitely don't want any more UV exposure than is unavoidable, and this sounds avoidable to me.

If I wind up trying Solarez, a strong possibility, I'll be sure to wear my UV protecting Costa Del Mar sun glasses when I use the UV light.

I wonder if these light bulbs made for aquariums ( suppose to be good for plant growth etc. because they mimic sun light) would work..I was looking at some at Wally World ...Nathan

I looked at some of the plant lights at Home Depot, but the ones they had there somehow filtered out most of the UV only allowing the range necessary for the plants. However, I did see some at WallyWorld too that said full-spectrum, which should cover the range. I know that a reptile bulb I tried from petsmart (which said it was intended to emit UVA), didn't work to well.

This is for you trig people.

I have two dia. one is 18" and the other is 14" all boards are 1/2" thick how many boards needed, what size and what angle cut at to make each dia.

I put this in homebrew also but this is needed for a light box for curing the lures.

Not quite sure what your trying to achieve. Are you trying to figure out the degree of cut to make a circle out of pie shaped sections? If that's what your wanting to know then we need to know how many sections you want. The diameter of the circle doesn't matter as the degree of cut will be the same on both sizes.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

The more sections you build it from the closer to a true circle it will be. How close to being round does it need to be? Keep in mind that building it this way it will never be perfectly round unless you chuck it up in a lathe and turn down the corners. Will an 8 sided shape work or is that not round enough?

Not sure what your building, but would it be easier to cut circles out of a piece of wood and then wrap it with something? Think of something like one of the Ferris wheel lure turners with a wooden circle at each end of a axle rod and wrapped with material.

Edited by RayburnGuy