SwimbaitJoe

Wakebait material

I'm not so sure that the material will make much diference to the 'clack' as it will have a paint finish (epoxy etc). But it does open up a few ideas. A couple of small steel balls with a drilled out hollow chambers behind them, aligned to contact, might give an interesting result.

It may be simpler and tidier to install a purpose built rattle to achieve the same. I do think that sound is important as it travels something like ten times more efficienlty through water.

I've used balsa, paulownia and basswood. I think paulownia or basswood is better and both clack louder than balsa. You do run into a durability problem with body segments whacking each other repeatedly. I usually put extra epoxy at the touch points but that's a temporary fix at best. I haven't come up with a reasonable fix (i.e., one that doesn't add lots of weight or work) and maybe you just have to accept that and touch up the segments occasionally.